waters least likely to leak

I got some from TEK supply, they were around $2 each but the shipping was quite high.

My adults never would catch on to the nipple thing, even when locked in the coop with only the nipple waterer, they would ALL run to the dog's bucket when finally let out. I gave up.
Buckets are easy for me anyway.

I use rabbit nipples for my chickens. They work just fine. The best way to "train" your chicken to drink from them is to adjust the nipple to drip very slowly (unscrew the nipple just the tinyest bit) and the chickens will quickly learn how to get water out.

The thing about buying the nipples from Neil here at byc is that he is here to answer your questions. I had an issue this past weekend and he was so quick to help me out. His shipping for me at least was only around $2 and the nipples were under that if I remember right. I started mine on the nipples at about 3 days old and they have used them ever since.ince the nipples are red the chicks were inquisitive enough to peck at them. When they did they realized that there was "water in them thar things" They will always drink water from a bowl or bucket if it's offered but I figure I am the one in charge here, not the chickens so they just have to use the nipples. I have other things to do like hold them, pet them and give them treats instead of having to change their nasty water bowl. Just my opinion of course!

Last edited:
I just use buckets. Easy to clean, fast to fill. Plus, in the winter, you can use them to count the number of freezing days. Just count the blocks of water on the floor and divide by two!

Quote:
Two nipples would be plenty for 4-5 chickens. I started out in the brooder with only one for nine chicks. Someone suggested having at least two in case of a malfunction. You could have more if you so choose but they will probably just peck at the same one anyway. At least mine do, you know how they sure don't want some other chicken to be getting something they don't have! ha ha

Quote:
I agree a bucket or dog bowl will work just fine if you have an easy place to dump it. My son's chickens just use the dog bowl but they are free range most of the time. Mine are confined to the coop and run so I would have to carry the bowl or bucket out of the coop in order to dump it. Either that or always have a muddy run. Different strokes for different folks. You just have to use the best for the situation.

Yeah, you don't want to be dumping out buckets of water inside a coop. My water is all outside, where it rains all the time anyways. The birds get to drink when they are let out in the morning to range freely.

I ordered the nipple waterers twice from Neil and he was most helpful...postage/shipping was VERY reasonable.

I have a cat litter bucket with 4 nipples in it. Still trying to decide about the others we bought...chicken math has hit and we are already planning to add onto the coop/run so I may be making nipple waterers for some breeder pens.

I have sand in my run so there is always sand in other waterers...the nipple waterer stays clean.

Back
Top Bottom