Watery eye on hen

Evelyn's Mom

Songster
Jun 19, 2018
a windy hill in southwestern Indiana...
My 1 year old buff brahma, Princess Poppy has had a watery eye off and on for about 2 weeks or so. It seems to come and go, and no other symptoms. I picked her up yesterday for a closer look and it seems a little pale around her eyeball and little watery bubbles in the corner. Ideas? I have 6 other hens with no symptoms. These are the best pics I could get. Thanks!

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 14
Looks like a respiratory disease of some kind. My hens have that too unfortunately.
She and the others will be carriers for life but secondary symptoms can be treated with .20 ml of Tylan50 per pound of chicken, given orally or injected 3 times a day for 5 days.

It might be environmental since there are no other symptoms and your other birds arnt showing symptoms of a respiratory disease.
Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding can be a cause, pollen, dust or debris in eyes from dust bathing, feed dust, scratched eye etc...
Flush the eyes with saline solution and apply neosporin and see if it helps.

It might be environmental since there are no other symptoms and your other birds arnt showing symptoms of a respiratory disease.
Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding can be a cause, pollen, dust or debris in eyes from dust bathing, feed dust, scratched eye etc...
Flush the eyes with saline solution and apply neosporin and see if it helps.
I can flush them, then apply neosporin right into the eye??

I can flush them, then apply neosporin right into the eye??
Yes, a thin small "fingernail" strip is all that is needed. It will melt in the eye, no problem.:)
Also check her eye closely for a piece of feather or fluff in her eye which can cause irritation. I've had that happen and use small scissors to cut it down as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom