watery eyes......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hvl25, Jul 8, 2011.

1. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I have 8 hens. 2 I have had for a while and 6 were chicks that I have had since March. I have had no problems with any of them until today I noticed two of my hens has a watery eye. I don't notice any other symptoms, both are acting fine. I have not been around any other birds or had any new ones since March when I bought the chicks. Any ideas on what I should do?

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Watery discharge from the eyes can be a sign of respiratory disease. I know you said there are no other symptoms, but you may want to observe them closely for any other signs, such as breathing abnormalities. When any type of illness is suspected it is a good idea to isolate them from the others, so that you can observe them more closely and protect the others from becoming ill as well. Can you separate your hens from the rest of your flock? You can then look for other signs of illness, and make sure they are eating and drinking, and their poop is normal.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    thanks. i am trying/hoping to find something local. i can separate them in the morning and put them in a large dog crate. will check the link you sent me. thanks again. i hope the others dont get it:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by