Watery green poop HELP

Grizzlepuff

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2016
Hello. Farm favorite girl of mine has been in iso in my room for 3 days now. Poop is basically water with a bit of dark green pellet shaped poops. She doesn't move other than standing up to extend wings down and squeeze out all that liquid and when she does this she sort of grunts. She pants almost all the time. I've been using a dropper to give her water and she seems to want a lot, but the bowl is there in front of her. I have been giving her scrambled eggs for the past 2 days and today i mixed in some chicken food and coconut yogurt as advised from a friend. She eats basically all, but i have not seen a sizable difference in her poop - if anything, there is more water being discharged. I can't tell if her legs hurt, or if she is just super weak from the lack of movement. Should i keep doing what i'm doing? Should i feed her something different? I like her a lot, she doesnt seem to be in excruciating pain, just uncomfortable. I'd like to keep both our spirits up but i don't know how to end it all if i need to...

-Arianna

Is her crop emptying or staying full, or doughy or squishy, or slow? Any bad smell?
What is normally fed, and did she free range before illness?
How old is she, was she laying?

Crop is empty this am. Was full last night, size of golf ball. Poop this am is WHITE! thats a good sign eh? Also is currently grooming herself a bit which I havent really seen herself do in a while.
Her watery poop smell was basically none, because it was so watered down. Not terrible though when it dried out.
She eats everything. A few weeks ago she ate a lot of corn chips which may have causes salt poisoning? I didnt know chicks couldnt have salt... she has been getting thinner and thinner since then but Im connecting the dots just now. Seriously free range. The girls walk maybe 2-3 acres.
Cant tell you how old she is. Maybe 2-3? She has pretty large leg spikes or whatever you call em. Feel like those take a good while to grow. Cant tell you if this is her first or second molt, etc. I also dont think she lays. Shes usually out and about most times.
Sorry for the haze, but I'm new to this farm who has 85 chicks with no background history.
Thanks so much for your response!
Feeling more positive this am.

If it is salt poisoning, how do I treat that?!

False alarm!! Shes got little white wormy maggots in her vent. Im going to flush her out with some water. Not good...

I doubt it was the salt after this much time, unless the salt dehydrated her and caused a blockage. If the crop is emptying that is good, and that's where I was asking about smell from. If her crop was sour there would be a bad smell from her mouth.
Is the poo just white and watery, or with some brown in it too and more normal consistency?
It's possible she has or had some blockage, maybe in her gizzard. I would only feed soft and water soluble foods for now, until you really see a normal dropping, and make sure she stays hydrated. I'd also give some vitamins as vitamin or mineral deficiency can cause them to eat too much of the wrong thing sometimes. You can mix her feed with water to soften it. Sometimes a blockage can be from eating foreign objects like plastic pieces, string, or rope, or from eating too much grass or long grass or dirt, or sometimes just from gorging on feed or grit or scratch grains. If it manages to pass all is well. If she's still not passing normal droppings you can try giving her some vegetable oil (coconut or olive) to help lube things along. If you don't start seeing normal droppings then if you have it available, an x-ray can show a blockage or impacted gizzard for confirmation. An impacted gizzard is dire. Also, a good idea to monitor her weight to make sure she's really getting enough right now. Also, make sure your flock has access to grit and oyster shell all the time. Best of luck, I hope she recovers.
Also are you sure that 'she' is a 'she'? While hens do sometimes get spurs (leg spikes) it's usually roosters that do, which would also explain why 'she' doesn't lay.
big_smile.png

guys, there were maybe 3 or 4 of these maggots falling out of her vent this am. I pulled them out and then inverted a cup of water on her vent to drown them out. Also took a water dropper and sort of gave her an enema. She pooped one out in that liquid, but thats the last of them that i've seen. I've seen chickens with fly strike usually where there is a wound on the outside of the vent and they are in that, but her vent looks super clean and normal. Could it be possible that they are INSIDE her? like eating away at her intestines far away from my eyes?
Her poop looks about the same. although she did pass a secal looking poop earlier today.
I don't want to give up on her, but at the same time i do NOT want her to suffer through this longer than she needs to. Appetite is still there, drinking lots of water, eyes are bright, and comb is paler than normal.

How is she today? Have you seen any more maggots?
I have never dealt with fly strike so only know what I've read, but a couple of thoughts..... were her vent area feathers dirty with droppings from the runny poos? Is it possible that eggs were laid there and since you had her inside under observation you caught them early as soon as they hatched? If you haven't already I'd give her a really good going over to make sure you haven't missed a wound and keep close watch for more maggots. And keep her vent area as clean as you can. Second thought, has she been wormed, recently or ever? Carrying a load of worms could cause the loose droppings and other symptoms also.
Hopefully others will weigh in.

Back
Top Bottom