Watery Poo…?

sadiemartin

Chirping
May 13, 2021
Does anyone know why this poo is so watery..? I’ve never seen so much watery poo before in my coop, it’s like a puddle!
Note- my birds have gone through 10
days of corrid and have been de wormed within the past 8 weeks
A355226D-3AA0-465D-9592-AAEAC019DBB7.jpeg

How old are the birds? What symptoms caused you to treat for coccidiosis and to worm them? I looked at your most recent previous post and I didn't see anything worrisome in the droppings you pictured, the yellow ones there looked like cecal droppings. It could be that someone drank a lot of water, or ate something that caused runny droppings. If anyone is acting off or lethargic, then I would look further. If it's a one time, or only occasional occurance, it's probably not a worry, lots of things can cause droppings to vary. If it's a constant or often thing, or a bird seems ill, then I would investigate further.

How old are the birds? What symptoms caused you to treat for coccidiosis and to worm them? I looked at your most recent previous post and I didn't see anything worrisome in the droppings you pictured, the yellow ones there looked like cecal droppings. It could be that someone drank a lot of water, or ate something that caused runny droppings. If anyone is acting off or lethargic, then I would look further. If it's a one time, or only occasional occurance, it's probably not a worry, lots of things can cause droppings to vary. If it's a constant or often thing, or a bird seems ill, then I would investigate further.
So this was about 2 to 3 months back I actually saw white worms moving in a poop- it was absolutely disgusting. I wormed everyone with ivermectin once and then 10 days later. That got rid of the worms. Then a couple weeks later I noticed foamy yellow poop in several other droppings, so I treated with corrid for 10 days. I don’t free range mine or feed them anything to make their poops look weird. I only give mealworms as treats and they are on Purina flock raiser crumble food. They also have herbs & calcium always out but I’m not sure why poops would be foamy.. when I posted my last post about my chicken droppings, I thought maybe coccidiosis was coming back but then everyone reassured me that it was nothing so I haven’t treated them since the initial Corrid treatment.
Also my birds age vary from six months - my oldest hen around 2 yrs Old, 5 out of 14 hens are younger and haven’t started laying yet

Last edited:
Some worms are becoming resistant to ivermectin. So if you worm again I'd use either Safeguard liquid goat wormer, Safeguard horse paste, or Valbazen. Those will get rid of most worms except tapeworm. Tapeworm is most often treated with praziquantel, which you can get in Equimax or Zimectrin Gold horse paste.
If the worms you saw looked like cooked spaghetti then they were likely roundworm, if they looked like rice grains then likely tapeworm. Other worms rarely show up in droppings. You can do a search for images of parasites/worms in chicken droppings and see if you can find an image that looks like what you saw. Dosing and best treatment depends on what worm you are dealing with. Sometimes people mistake maggots/insect larvae for worms, those get deposited in droppings after the fact.

Some worms are becoming resistant to ivermectin. So if you worm again I'd use either Safeguard liquid goat wormer, Safeguard horse paste, or Valbazen. Those will get rid of most worms except tapeworm. Tapeworm is most often treated with praziquantel, which you can get in Equimax or Zimectrin Gold horse paste.
If the worms you saw looked like cooked spaghetti then they were likely roundworm, if they looked like rice grains then likely tapeworm. Other worms rarely show up in droppings. You can do a search for images of parasites/worms in chicken droppings and see if you can find an image that looks like what you saw. Dosing and best treatment depends on what worm you are dealing with. Sometimes people mistake maggots/insect larvae for worms, those get deposited in droppings after the fact.
The ones i saw looked like tapeworms, i treated with ivermectin and i never saw them again. Do you think this worked? I also found a bit of blood just now in one of the droppings in their house from last night, also it had liquid surrounding it. It must be the same bird who left the initial dropping i posted here...

I would not count on the ivermectin to treat tapes. Without seeing the dropping I can't really say. It could have been intestinal shed, or blood. When birds carry a load of worms there can be increased intestinal shed. Occasional intestinal shed can be nothing to worry about, if it's happening a lot then I'd look for a cause. Most of the time you will not see worms in droppings, they live their entire lives inside the host. The only way to know for sure is to have a fecal float test done, that looks for the eggs which are microscopic. Some vets will do for a chicken, some won't. There are also mail in options.
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/fecal-worm-testhome-kit/E013362/
Here is dosing on treating tapes: Post #6 here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/

I would not count on the ivermectin to treat tapes. Without seeing the dropping I can't really say. It could have been intestinal shed, or blood. When birds carry a load of worms there can be increased intestinal shed. Occasional intestinal shed can be nothing to worry about, if it's happening a lot then I'd look for a cause. Most of the time you will not see worms in droppings, they live their entire lives inside the host. The only way to know for sure is to have a fecal float test done, that looks for the eggs which are microscopic. Some vets will do for a chicken, some won't. There are also mail in options.
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/fecal-worm-testhome-kit/E013362/
Here is dosing on treating tapes: Post #6 here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/
I treated them with the horse ivermectin paste, not pour on. Pea drop size in mouth once then again 10 days later. My birds look/act fine so far and their poops don't look worm-ey- so I don't want to put them through anything else, they have been through a lot the past couple months. They also got lice/mites :(. If i do see signs of worms i will treat again a different way

Back
Top Bottom