Watery poo, sink to red spots. HELP!

ladyvain

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 5, 2014
I have one RIR and one Buff Orpington that both choose to sleep in nest boxes no matter how often I move them...In the past week or so I've noticed that they both have liquid poo with red or pink mucusy spots in it. I've actually noticed the RIR poo complete liquid...the buff is in a separate coop and I've been trying to narrow down who was leaving unhealthy poos when I saw the puddle in her "sleeping" nest box. The buff has stopping laying. The RIR is too young for eggs.

Aside from all this, I have buff in my shop that has been wheezing like she's got phelgm in her throat, who isn't eating or drinking, also with mostly liquid poo:( I've been feeding her water with epsom salts by syringe to try to keep her hydrated.

We just added 12 birds to our flock and now have all this illness:( We had a quarantine phase and didn't see anything to indicate any one was sick. We're pretty new to chickens so I feel totally lost :(

Any help will do:)

I have one RIR and one Buff Orpington that both choose to sleep in nest boxes no matter how often I move them...In the past week or so I've noticed that they both have liquid poo with red or pink mucusy spots in it.  I've actually noticed the RIR poo complete liquid...the buff is in a separate coop and I've been trying to narrow down who was leaving unhealthy poos when I saw the puddle in her "sleeping" nest box.  The buff has stopping laying. The RIR is too young for eggs.

Aside from all this, I have  buff in my shop that has been wheezing like she's got phelgm in her throat, who isn't eating or drinking, also with mostly liquid poo:(   I've been feeding her water with epsom salts by syringe to try to keep her hydrated.

We just added 12 birds to our flock and now have all this illness:( We had a quarantine phase and didn't see anything to indicate any one was sick. We're pretty new to chickens so I feel totally lost :(

Any help will do:)

First if all, Epsom salts have a laxative effect. Are you only giving the hen water mixed with the salts? I have heard of this done just to flush a birds system (because of the laxative effect) but would not imagine it to be a good thing to do constantly. The water and epsom will not keep her hydrated. It will have the opposite effect.
Are they having any solid poos at all? Runny poops are normal on a regular occasion, but if NO poos are solid it could indicate something.
The wheezing hen is a concern, but I would definitely stop the salts. Is there any discharge from her eyes or nose? How often are you giving the salts? Try stopping that and let her recover for a bit. Provide fresh clean water and food.

It may be coccidiosis...look up the symptoms and treat with corid/amprolium if you feel this may be the issue...

I've only actually dont the salts once...I'd read that it can be helpful:( I'll stop and just continue with plain water. She has water and food in the crate with her but she won't eat or drink, just stands in the same place all day, then sits down tot sleep. She's been in there 3 nights now. Some of her poo is solid. Same witht the other ladies.

We are in the final stages of treating for coccidiosis.We had a young chick exhibit symptoms and then she died the next day. We've treated and seen no other side effects.

The wheezing chicken looks to be perfectly fine, she has no runny bits.

Last edited:
I've only actually dont the salts once...I'd read that it can be helpful:( I'll stop and just continue with plain water. She has water and food in the crate with her but she won't eat or drink, just stands in the same place all day, then sits down tot sleep. She's been in there 3 nights now. Some of her poo is solid. Same witht the other ladies.

We are in the final stages of treating for [COLOR=333333]coccidiosis.We had a young chick exhibit symptoms and then she died the next day. We've treated and seen no other side effects.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The wheezing chicken looks to be perfectly fine, she has no runny bits.[/COLOR]

Maybe try taking her out during the day for a few minutes in the yard away from other birds to see if she will walk around and graze or anything? Maybe if she gets some fresh air and some space to move. If you have already treated for coccidiosis I would say that is good. I have never had experience with that.
I do know that once I had a hen get hurt in a mating accident (ha) and I had to put her in a sick crate til she healed. She was not happy to be cooped up and acted like you describe, almost like she was depressed. There was no disease or illness, just a wound on her side. I hope she gets better!

Is it possible that she has the flu? Her wheezing kind of sounds like pneumonia. I put her out in the sun today and she seems happier but she's still not eatting or drinking without assistance

Back
Top Bottom