Watery poo with blood?

Eglanterina

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 23, 2016
My little hen has been lethargic for about a week now. She does eat a bit and is drinking water (maybe more than normal). She has watery poo for the last few days and I've been giving her water with electrolytes. This morning her poo seems to have a bit of blood in it, picture attached. Any thoughts on what might be wrong with her and how I could treat it? So far I'm just providing her with high protein food and water, and she's in the house.
image0.jpeg

How old is she? Blood can be a sign of coccidiosis or worms. Coccidiosis is a disease more common in young chickens, but also can happen when there is a lot of droppings in warm wet conditions, and multi-age chickens. It also may happen to chickens who are sick or have poor immune systems. Symptoms are lethargy, hunched or puffed up posture, not eating, and runny poop with mucus or blood. Does she lay eggs? It her tail held up or it is drooping? Corid (amprollium,) is found in most feed stores and can be used to treat coccidiosis. Good wormers are Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer given orally.

How old is she? Blood can be a sign of coccidiosis or worms. Coccidiosis is a disease more common in young chickens, but also can happen when there is a lot of droppings in warm wet conditions, and multi-age chickens. It also may happen to chickens who are sick or have poor immune systems. Symptoms are lethargy, hunched or puffed up posture, not eating, and runny poop with mucus or blood. Does she lay eggs? It her tail held up or it is drooping? Corid (amprollium,) is found in most feed stores and can be used to treat coccidiosis. Good wormers are Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer given orally.
She's older, around 5 years and hasn't laid eggs this year. She is puffed up and her tail is drooping and tends to sleep often. The symptoms you mention seem to fit her - I do have Corid on hand. Thank you!

She may have a common reproductive disorder as well, that is making her tail droop and feel poorly. Crop function may be slowed down due to pressure in the abdomen from salpingitis or internal laying. Those runny poops with the black bits are common in some of the older hens I have seen. Sometimes they may later develop yellow urates (the normally white part of the droppings.) Offering her a balanced diet, checking that her crop empties, and watching for more blood in the droppings would be good. A little scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food is helpful in addition to chicken feed to tempt them to eat. Corid dosage is 10 ml of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for each gallon of water for 5-7 days. Valbazen wormer dosage is 0.5 ml for a 5-6 pound chicken, given orally once and again after 10 days.

She may have a common reproductive disorder as well, that is making her tail droop and feel poorly. Crop function may be slowed down due to pressure in the abdomen from salpingitis or internal laying. Those runny poops with the black bits are common in some of the older hens I have seen. Sometimes they may later develop yellow urates (the normally white part of the droppings.) Offering her a balanced diet, checking that her crop empties, and watching for more blood in the droppings would be good. A little scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food is helpful in addition to chicken feed to tempt them to eat. Corid dosage is 10 ml of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for each gallon of water for 5-7 days. Valbazen wormer dosage is 0.5 ml for a 5-6 pound chicken, given orally once and again after 10 days.
Thank you for that information as well. Piperazine is the only dewormer I have access to. I'm in Canada and the federal government enacted laws that really restrict access to medication for farm animals without a prescription. I might be able to order Safeguard online from the US - do you know if granule form would work as well?

I did note that her expelled a small, white mass and I assumed that this is a sign of salpingitis. I have her on oral tetracycline now instead of corid. It is always so difficult to diagnose illnesses. She is still interested in eating and drinking water but it sounds like the outcome for salpingitis related infections is not promising.

Back
Top Bottom