Watery poop and lethargic

Unfortunately, lethargic behavior and watery poop are just the beginning when trying to nail down what could be going on and how best to provide treatment.

Age of hen.
Laying history.
Daily habits and possibility of encountering toxic substances.
Crop condition. Full crop in the morning indicates a crop disorder. Diet and grit.
Climate and soil conditions. Coccidiosis often occurs in spring.
Worms. Has the chicken been wormed recently?
I have a hen with cloudy watery poop as well.
Here are the answers to your questions:

Age of hen. 2 years
Laying history. Laying well since August of 2020
Daily habits and possibility of encountering toxic substances. Enclosed run
Crop condition. Her crop is empty this evening
Diet and grit: she eats fermented feed, laying pellets, table scraps, they have medicated grit and crumbled oyster shells
Climate and soil conditions. We live in humid Virginia. They live in a 20x40 run (uncovered)
Worms. I have not wormer my chickens.

our chickens are not free ranged. They have new fresh water every day. I checked her vent tonight and it looks inflamed. I compared it to one of the other barred rocks and her vent definitely isn’t not looking normal.

Her comb is droopy and she does not act active or normal at all.
This evening, her crop felt empty compared to how the other barred rock’s crop.
I feel so bad. No don’t want her to die, but I just feel so uninformed on what to do. I take good care of my flock, but this just crept up on me. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated ❤️

Sometimes just a couple of symptoms such as watery cloudy poop and lethargy and the floppy comb are enough to suspect a reproductive infection. When I see these symptoms, I get the hen on an oral antibiotic right away. Tractor Supply usually carries Fish Mox. (amoxycillin)

The dosage is 250mg per day for ten days.If all they have is 500mg, open the capsule, and divide the contents in half. Trying to give it with food often fails since it's bitter and the chicken isn't fooled for long. Try rolling the powder in a little coconut oil and make a little pea size ball. Then pop that right into her beak.

Sometimes just a couple of symptoms such as watery cloudy poop and lethargy and the floppy comb are enough to suspect a reproductive infection. When I see these symptoms, I get the hen on an oral antibiotic right away. Tractor Supply usually carries Fish Mox. (amoxycillin)

The dosage is 250mg per day for ten days.If all they have is 500mg, open the capsule, and divide the contents in half. Trying to give it with food often fails since it's bitter and the chicken isn't fooled for long. Try rolling the powder in a little coconut oil and make a little pea size ball. Then pop that right into her beak.
Thank you so much! I will get out to tractor supply first thing in the morning. No sure do hope that I don’t lose her 🙏🏻❤️

And then don’t eat the eggs for the 14 days instead boil and feed them back to the chickens?

I found out at another tractor supply. It’s 500mg, so I need to divide the capsule in half and give it to her mixed in something every night when I put the flock up for the night?

I found out at another tractor supply it’s called fishbiotic. It’s 500mg, so I need to divide the capsule in half and give it to her mixed in something every night when I put the flock up for the night?

I found out at another tractor supply it’s called Fish Mox

. It’s 500mg, so I need to divide the capsule in half and give it to her mixed in something every night when I put the flock up for the night? I don’t know what to mix the powder in. I have already wasted a capsule because the powder didn’t thicken into a pea size ball with rye little bit of syrup I used 😟

Back
Top Bottom