Watery poop in otherwise healthy-seeming hen

Orchid

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
North Central MN
1) What type of bird , age and weight. One year old Easter Egger hen, not sure on weight - smaller than my other LF hens, bigger than a bantam.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Behavior is totally normal, but she has big, watery poops with the watery part being white with little brown poop nuggets in it. Makes the butt feathers look positively delightful after a poop and a dust bath.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? At least a couple of weeks; she mostly free ranges so I first noticed it on the deck. Again, delightful.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer feed, oyster shell free choice, free ranging, fresh water every day, some treats such as oatmeal, yogurt, grapes, and hamburger.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Described above.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I have no pictures yet, and this poop is not in the poop chart. I checked. Twice.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use 4 x 4 coop for three LF hens with 8 x 8 run, but mostly free range during the day.

I don't believe this is heat related since we've only gotten to 70F one day so far this year.

Hi,
My chickens had the same problem and someone suggested giving them plain yogurt with some rolled oats mixed in (the oats are so they can actually get hold of something so that they aren't just flinging the yogurt everywhere). I gave them some yesterday and they are just fine today, no diarrhea at all! Yogurt does the same for a chicken's digestive tract as it does for a human.
smile.png

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited:
One of our hens (Speckled Sussex) gets runny poop every so often, then it goes back to being regular. Her egg production is nice and steady -- runny poop or not. I've read some threads about this, and for some hens, it is common.

I hope this helps!

I give them a big bowl of plain yogurt and plain oatmeal (usually with some grapes thrown in) on Saturday or Sunday mornings. So far it doesn't seem to have made a difference, but I suppose I could do it daily for a week and watch for improvement.

Mark & Nique :

One of our hens (Speckled Sussex) gets runny poop every so often, then it goes back to being regular. Her egg production is nice and steady -- runny poop or not. I've read some threads about this, and for some hens, it is common.

I hope this helps!

Desdemona's egg production has stayed the same also. Good to know, thank you!​

Back
Top Bottom