Watery poop

We need a photo of the poop that looks like yolk. I take it that the poop is yellow? Coconut oil won't turn poop yellow.

A little known, but not uncommon, phenomenon is two eggs, not a double yolk egg, coming down the tract in a single 25 hour cycle. This can spell trouble for the hen that has this issue. I had an EE that spent an entire spring before this recent one producing two eggs each cycle. There isn't usually enough calcium secreted by the shell gland for two such eggs, so one may be shell-less.

Shell-less eggs are more likely to get bound up, and they are more likely to collapse. I put my EE on a daily dose of people calcium, around 500mg, and kept her on it until she reset her cycle. It took over a month, but she began laying a single egg each cycle again, and this season, there has been no issue.

If there's a stuck egg or egg material from a collapsed egg, the hen will be trying to push it out. There may be a watery discharge from the vent, either clear or milky white. It will change color to yellow when the collapsed yolk is expelled. There can be a danger of vent prolapse if the hen is pushing hard for an extended period. Giving calcium can help.

I don't have a pic of that poop! It all happened so quickly and I was trying to clean her up and see what was going on. But it definitely looked like bright yellow yolk and was accompanied by white milky discharge. Here is a pic of her most recent poop, which looks good to me! She does not seem to be straining or pulsing her vent, like she was a couple days ago when she laid the soft egg.

I actually have a production breed hen that will occasionally lay two eggs in a cycle -- so I was getting soft-shelled eggs when I was feeding all-flock feed last year to integrate two age groups. I supplemented her with calcium gluconate 23% until I went back to layer feed for all. She's been pretty good since then. Interesting you went a whole month supplementing your EE. I just went a week or so, but I still get the occasional rogue soft egg. Next time I will go longer with her. However, this sick SS has never had that problem. I've been dosing her with the calcium for a few days in the hope that it would help.

But, my hens have had some predator issues lately (no losses, knock wood) and I treated them all for worms last week. And my head hen has suddenly become a tyrant, bullying the others, particularly the SS. So the girls have been under some stress.

Interestingly, since the sick SS has been in the house with me, the others have settled down A LOT.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 4
Quick update: Alice is still with us! I have taken a hands-off approach the past couple days and am not stressing her. I put her in a quiet, air conditioned room with plenty of food and water. Her bum feathers are a poopy mess, but she has perked up and is eating and drinking entirely on her own again! She is alert and preening and talking to herself.

She is by no means out of the woods, but I am very relieved! Thank you for all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom