Wattle cut almost in 2

He would be soup at my house. I don't keep the boys that go after people, or that abuse hens. Honestly, there are way too many good boys out there that could use a good life to put up with a jerk. I have a wyandotte roo that is going on 6 1/2 years old and he's never attacked anyone. He's a sweetheart. Every bird is an individual and personalities and temperaments vary. If you were to breed him then there's a good chance he will pass on those traits he has. I wouldn't. I've had a few nasty boys, and many more that were not. Having a jerk makes taking care of the flock something unpleasant, instead of a joy. Rehoming a roo is sometimes possible. He may go somewhere else and become soup there. Or he may be used for cockfighting. Things to consider depending on how you feel about things. Unless I know the person who wants a roo, I personally feel like it's more humane to cull him. At least I know he isn't abused or neglected.

I’ve had similar circumstances with a rooster of mine. At the time we had tw roosters, a EE roo (Jasper) and a Silver Duckwing OEGB roo (Charlie). Since Jasper was much larger he tore a piece of Charlie’s comb. Charlie was really pretty, and we had considered showing him in the county fair. So we tried to leave it on and hope all will be well, but eventually it just turned black and fell off. The other hens would try to peck at him, aswell.
So I recommend cutting the piece off and using Syptic powder to stop the bleeding!
This is why my husband wants to keep cash the wyandotte, he wants to show him.

Attachments

• 20210701_104249.jpg
    20210701_104249.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210701_104332.jpg
    20210701_104332.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210701_104304.jpg
    20210701_104304.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 4
He would be soup at my house. I don't keep the boys that go after people, or that abuse hens. Honestly, there are way too many good boys out there that could use a good life to put up with a jerk. I have a wyandotte roo that is going on 6 1/2 years old and he's never attacked anyone. He's a sweetheart. Every bird is an individual and personalities and temperaments vary. If you were to breed him then there's a good chance he will pass on those traits he has. I wouldn't. I've had a few nasty boys, and many more that were not. Having a jerk makes taking care of the flock something unpleasant, instead of a joy. Rehoming a roo is sometimes possible. He may go somewhere else and become soup there. Or he may be used for cockfighting. Things to consider depending on how you feel about things. Unless I know the person who wants a roo, I personally feel like it's more humane to cull him. At least I know he isn't abused or neglected.
Funny you mentioned the issues with re-homing. I almost mentioned in my post above that we vet anyone taking any of our birds (chicks, roos, unruly hens) as carefully as we can, but didn't want to get off topic too much.

Interestingly, we visit one of our Buff Orph roos that was re-homed. He lives about 30 minutes south of us, and we see him once or twice per year.
He was so aggressive with our hens that he had to go. He was like an NFL linebacker running down a back making a cut through the line of scrimmage into the secondary - wasn't pretty: he as like Mike Singletary.... :-(

Everyone is well behaved besides him, and he would be the perfect wyandotte if it wasnt for his demeanor, he doesnt have spurs yet but has got me several times just by jumping and using his other toes. I want to breed my wyandottes but dont know if i should cull him and get a different roo or just keep the 2 hens as pets and cull him.

Rehoming a roo is sometimes possible. He may go somewhere else and become soup there. Or he may be used for cockfighting.
Up to you whether to keep him or not. If he attacks people, then showing him may be an issue. Birds that are shown must be handled easily.

If you want to keep him, separate him into this own pen so the ladies can have some piece.
I won't keep a rooster that is mean to hens period.

Nahhhhhh...nobody wants a layer breed rooster to fight and no one that does that sort of thing would think about bringing in a strange bird like that - too much potential for introducing disease to valuable birds.
But, someone might take him to eat.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances, If it is barely hanging on, I would remove it and apply a coagulating agent to the wattle. Any of the dog nail products or styptic pencil would work.
I'm a dog grooming and always have styptic on hand. Most of them have something in them for pain nowadays. Is this still advised to use on birds? I needed it before but realized the pain relief agent so I didn't use it. I'm curious for future reference. Thank you!

I haven't read through the replies but I just noticed the pictures. I have three roosters that li e in a bachelor flock. The go through pecking order shake up and they can get nasty with each other. One of them had a wattle that looked just like your hens. This guy is a nasty jerk and there was no way he'd let me work near his face without aggressively biting me, so unfortunately I was unable to treat him. The piece that was hanging disappeared one day. It never bled again after the initial tear happened. The piece that was hanging dried up over the next 2 days. I wish you the very best.

Side note~I am trying one last thing to help my jerk and if this doesn't work, he'll be humanely euthanized as it's inhumane to not treat him whenever necessary. Yes I know that he should have been gone a while back. I do have help lined up and ready if this last method doesn't work and I'm not hopeful.

Back
Top Bottom