wattle puncture from hawk

linda85

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 2, 2007
I have a couple three month old leghorns and one rooster was just picked up by a hawk and then dropped. He has at least one pretty good puncture through his wattle. What is the best treatment for him? Right now we're just holding him and keeping him warm. Thanks for any info.

Linda, if its just a puncture...nothing really needs to be done. It will heal. If you want tho...clean it up, and apply neosporin. Better keep an eye out for that hawk tho...it will be back!

Thanks for the reply Deb. He actually sustained more injuries than I first realized. The hawk got him around his whole neck as well. There is a flesh wound in the front and back of his neck. I did use the neosporin and am just watching him closely. He seems to be eating and drinking normally though. He should pull through. Thanks again for your help. Linda

Linda,

These great little pets of ours are really pretty resilliant. Im sure he will be just fine. Just keep an eye out for infection, but with the neosporin, he should be just fine. Thats great he is eating and drinking. Sounds like one tough little roo roo!

Back
Top Bottom