1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wattles and Crowns

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by joshbparker, Nov 16, 2013.

1. joshbparker

joshbparker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    Ok, I am a little new with chickens and I have a question. My chicken used to have a large beautiful crown and wattle, it was really big and the redest red ever. But I have notice that the size of the crown and wattles have shrunk and has lots is really red coloration. What could this be???? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Shriveling and discoloration of the comb is a sign of sickness or molting.

3. joshbparker

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    I did think that she is molting because she has lost sooooo many feathers and she has stopped laying completely.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, it is molting season. I have also noticed that those of my hens who are molting the worst have more pale combs or crowns. I have been trying to add more protein to their diet to support feather re growth.

5. joshbparker

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    Thanks, what do you recommend adding to their diet to help the feather growth. [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    In this photo the hen on the left is very ill from heavy metal toxicity. Note the lack of color and size throughout her comb, wattles, and face. She died several weeks after this photo.

[​IMG]

This hen is obviously in a very heavy molt. Her comb and wattle have shrunk but still have some color.
    [​IMG]

The same hen 4 months later fully feathered and back in egg production
    [​IMG]

Heat stress made this hen go pale. However, her comb and wattles are of normal size
    [​IMG]

This hen was suffering from internal laying. Note how her comb and wattles have shrunk but still have some color. She died several months after this photo.
    [​IMG]

This hen has small wattles and comb due to her genetics. She has a nice healthy color, though.
    [​IMG]

7. joshbparker

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    Thanks everyone that posted a reply thanks this helped so much!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by