Wattles and Crowns

joshbparker

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Winton, North Carolina
Ok, I am a little new with chickens and I have a question. My chicken used to have a large beautiful crown and wattle, it was really big and the redest red ever. But I have notice that the size of the crown and wattles have shrunk and has lots is really red coloration. What could this be????
hu.gif

Last edited:
Yes, it is molting season. I have also noticed that those of my hens who are molting the worst have more pale combs or crowns. I have been trying to add more protein to their diet to support feather re growth.

In this photo the hen on the left is very ill from heavy metal toxicity. Note the lack of color and size throughout her comb, wattles, and face. She died several weeks after this photo.

This hen is obviously in a very heavy molt. Her comb and wattle have shrunk but still have some color.

The same hen 4 months later fully feathered and back in egg production

Heat stress made this hen go pale. However, her comb and wattles are of normal size

This hen was suffering from internal laying. Note how her comb and wattles have shrunk but still have some color. She died several months after this photo.

This hen has small wattles and comb due to her genetics. She has a nice healthy color, though.

Back
Top Bottom