Wax worms?

rmh0508

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Engadine, MI
Can I feed some wax worms as treats to my chicks? I don't have a place nearby to get meal worms but I was thinking the wax worms might be a good alternative and they are considerably cheaper at the bait shop as well ($3.69 for 2 dozen)

Yes, be sure none of the worms are too big (depending on the age and size of your chicks) and be sure to offer them a little chick grit to digest them.

Old fishermans trick is to wet a 12" section of lawn real good 2 pieces of bread layed down and a brick on it will bring up any worms. Dont ask it worked before and will for you too.

A thought, would you eat a wax worm? The foods that are good are natural soft foods.

Last edited:
I have read the treat suggestions. They are snacking on yogurt and blackberries right now. I had just seen the suggestion of meal worms on there and there is no place around here to get some. So I thought the wax worms might be a good alternative. Right now the yogurt is not going over so well but I think they are afraid of the new dish more then the yogurt lol. I put some yogurt on the ground and they ate it right away. They are also playing keep away with the blackberries...

rmh0508, you can order meal worms through the internet and have them shipped to you. First find the "mealworm Farming" thread and learn how to raise your own. So easy and fun to do. That way mealworms are very inexpensive!

I got a container of them for my chicks and they went NUTS over them. I think on occasion, they are great treats!

ETA: Do you have like a Petco or Petsmart nearby? They sell them in the reptile section, mealworms. I imagine most pet stores would or be able to order if you didnt want to.

Last edited:
Quote:
lol I don't even know where the nearest Petco would be and the nearest Petsmart that I am aware of is 150 miles away. We live in the UP of MIchigan and there are very few options so thats why I was thinking the wax worms. I did give them some regular worms yesterday and that was a big hit. They are on a diet of medicated chick starter and I was just looking for a "fun" treat for them lol

rmh0508 I ordered my mealworms from Petco. They shipped right to my door--love the look on the UPS drivers face when he delivers meal worms and live crickets. HEE HEE
I ordered 5000 meal worms and they were very reasonable. My mealies have pupated and are in beetle form and are making more meal worms.
Wax worms would be another option if you can get them for a reasonable price at the bait shop. My DS and I also collect grasshoppers when out on a walk and take back to the girls.
My DS feeds the worms to the girls one at a time and can get them to jump for them. It is so much fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom