Way to euthanize Chicken?

Hegatha

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Washington
One of my hens has a bad injury to her bum and and she hasnt got better and she keepes pecking at it. I have tryed everything medication wise and wrapping. she also wont sleep inside the house with the heat lamp so the cold made it worse. This am its really bad to were shes bleeding bad now. Is there a way I can humanly euthanize her? Shes just suffering.

Last edited:
A vet would euthinize her for you, or you could ring her neck. So sorry, you are making a good choice putting her down though.
hugs.gif

I have sick chicken too that I was about to post this very same question.

My 1 year old Blue Andalusian has bad diarrhea.
I isolated her and tried to get her better but she is worse. She was eating and drinking and moving around some but not today. she is just hunkered down in the nest box. Her comb has fallen and has almost no color. she looks close to death.
I would like to know the kindest way to end her life. It seems wrong to just let her suffer.
I live in an urban area so I can not shoot her and I'd like to keep the blood factor down to a minimum.

Quote:
We just had to put a hen down and we dug a round hole in the ground deep enough that the dogs or chicken wouldn't dig in it, then my dh used an axe and chopped her head off. it has to be sharp, then we laid her in the hole till she bled out after that we buried her and covered over the hole and put a large piece of fire wood over top of it. Sorry you have to do this but sometimes there is nothing else to be done.

I get very uneasy doing it, and so far, LUCKILY it has only been chicks.
Use a very sharp scissor, or pruning shears, and just cut its head off. Beats getting out the axe.
I'm sorry you have to do it.

I appreciate the suggestions and kind words.
She had passed when I went out to check on her.

I hope it's as easy for you Hegatha. I'm sending you a big mental hug.

If you have to put another chicken down, there is a lot easier way.
Go to the auto parts store and buy a spray can of (ether) starter fluid. Less than $5.
Put a couple of paper towels in a garbage bag. Spray the ether on the paper towels until wet.
Be careful not to breathe the fumes. Put the chicken in the garbage bag and close it. The chicken will go
to sleep and die within a few minutes. For a small chick, you can use a baggie.
Back in the old days, ether was used as an anesthesia for surgery.
This is a lot easier on the chicken and me also.

Well I just couldnt bring myself to put her down bc I cant do it and my dad was out of town. I brought her in the house gave her a bath, put medicane on her injury and wrapped it. Im keeping her in the house hoping it will help. I have her in a huge dog crate right now. She seems alot happier! Hoping she heals better now.

Back
Top Bottom