Way to give CORID powder if hen isn't drinking much?

johndeerelover

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 7, 2013
Carroll County Maryland
I've read a lot on CORID, but I would love a quick answer as I'm out of time. Is there a way to give this to a hen who isn't drinking much? I read that the liquid can be put in it's beak a few drops, how about the powder form? She took a few sips, but not sure how much she'll be drinking.

I just use an eye dropper or a needless syringe and give them some as often as I can the first day or so, every hour or so, until they start to perk up and drink well on their own. Just go slow, dribble it in the side of the beak and watch to see her swallow. You could also mix it more concentrated for these doses you are giving via syringe to get her started.

I've read a lot on CORID, but I would love a quick answer as I'm out of time. Is there a way to give this to a hen who isn't drinking much? I read that the liquid can be put in it's beak a few drops, how about the powder form? She took a few sips, but not sure how much she'll be drinking.
You can add 1.5 tsp of the powder to 2 tsp of water, and will have the same as the undiluted liquid Corid. This can then be given a drop or 2 at a time 2-3 times a day to jump start the Corid in one not drinking. In between that, I would continue to give the regular Corid mixture of 1.5 tsp of powder per gallon of water to make sure the chicken gets fluids. In chickens with severe coccidiosis they will first stop eating, then later stop drinking, so it is important to give the medicine with a dropper or syringe.

The liquid is the 9.6% and the powder is the 20%. The OP asked how to give the equivalent of the concentrated liquid. Since the treatment dose is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, you would just add the 1.5 tsp of dry powder to 2 tsp of water to make the equivalent.

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

I've read a lot on CORID, but I would love a quick answer as I'm out of time.  Is there a way to give this to a hen who isn't drinking much?  I read that the liquid can be put in it's beak a few drops, how about the powder form?  She took a few sips, but not sure how much she'll be drinking.
Oh I apologize I didn't see asking about equalivent concentrated doses oh wait I still don't stupid me

Oh heck, don't apologize. I just interpreted that they were asking about the undiluted liquid Corid equivalent, since it is recommended to give a drop of two when they won't drink the treated water. The more we make things clear, it just helps anyone who sees this thread later. I'm not always very clear :)

Thank you for the help! She did drink a little on her own before I had to leave for the day today. I wasn't back till after dark. I also gave her a small piece of bread with a pea size serving of safeguard horse wormer. Hopefully tomorrow I see some improvement in the morning. I had one die about 2 weeks ago, and now this one was acting the same way. Very tired, lethargic, feathers puffed out and just stands in the same place. Hopefully I am treating for what she has. My egg production dropped way down in the summer, so maybe this has something to do with the whole flock?

Her symptoms fit for coccidiosis, but other things can look like it too. I would do what you have done so far. If a vet is possible to check a fresh stool sample Monday, they can tell you whether or not there is cocci or what species of worms she may have. Always check for mites, since they can zap energy and kill chickens. Enteritis is another intestinal disorder that chickens (especially grown ones) can get. Here is a link about it: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

Thanks eggsessive. She was maybe a little better this morning but not much. I did give her a little via a dropper as per one of the other comments above. She ate a tiny piece of bread with the safeguard on it. Also 3 or 4 mealworms. She took a little drink from the waterer while I was watching too. She has the coop to herself this afternoon so she can rest.

Back
Top Bottom