way to keep hawks out temporaly* Please don't read if you protect hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

FF

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Tennessee
*Mods please tell me if I am breaking a rule and I will fix it. I really need help fast* Thanks
I am so sick of hawks. Every single one of them. I had a coon problem and nobody else will have to worry about him. Possums too. I hope the buzzards liked them. I am being very nice about this stuff to the Game Warden. They are really tickin me off. I am going to start doing this stuff on my own. I can buy a permit for $50 to get rid of them. I am sick of dealing with wardens and other laws. But what is really making me mad is that everybody complains that the rabbit population is down and the foxs and coyotes are getting house pets because the dang hawks are killing every thing. I just temporailry while I wait for the permit need something to keep away the hawks. I have tryed netting. The chicken wire is too expensive. I have a huge lot so it would take me all week to get it up. Thanks for any and all input.

And I do apologize if you take me the wrong way in this post. i am meaning no disrespect to anyone who likes hawks or any of that stuff. But when they atart getting my stuff, wasting my money and nobody is doing anything about it then I am going to.

Last edited:
FF, all of my chicken friends have problems with hawks. I've seen as many as five of them flying over my property all at once. Very distressing! They don't seem to go for the full sized hens, but they did get one of my pullets last year, and this year, they got my only cockerel....a young GLW that I was really attached to and planned on using for breeding....broke my heart.

So I feel your pain!

Sharon

When I had a coppers I was worried about I hung up CDs and let them swing in the wind. It keep the coopers out of my broody area (where I worried the most). I hung three of them.

We have no trees but if I had trees I would have added some to the trees.

How about deer netting? I don't know if it's cheaper, but hawks won't like it.

You think hawks are bad, try Bald Eagles. Even worse, we have both. They circle our coop, but we have built Fort Knox.

I say you do what you have to to keep your birds safe. The three S's sound good to me, too.

Sounds to me like you are taking legal and proactive action against something that is bothering not only you, but that's having a negative effect on your community. This is the opposite of what happens when you kill snakes. Kill them and your rodent population can explode. Not good. In this case you have too many predators, so the prey is declining to the point that other predators in the ecosystem are now starving and are having to take desperate (getting near humans) measures. If that situation gets bad enough it could be a child that is attacked. No bird should be worth more than a child's life.

Agree 100% with what you're doing, for you and the community. And the way you are going about it is a good example for others.

If it's really only going to take one week then maybe keep them locked in and only a little outside time with you present? Don't know if that's possible for you, but probably all you can do, and only for a week. Seems a shame to spend a bunch of bucks for one week's safety.

Quote:
Will you please explain what I would have to do and where I would have to go to buy one of those $50 permits. How long is the permit good for? I'm not a hunter in any way, BUT if you're correct about the $50 permit (must be a new policy), I'll buy a high-powered rifle and take out a lot of hawks in seven surrounding counties; most hawk species need to be thinned out severely.

Last edited:
Quote:
I love it!!
wink.png

Remember the wing span of a hawk or eagle, get some snow fencing make a large enough pen for your birds, it can be moved easily. Put some poles in the ground and stretch some clothes line crisscrossed keeping in mind the wing span of the hawk. Hawks avoid areas where they themselves become prey to another predator if they cannot make a getaway. Also put lots of obstacles in the pen for the birds to hide under if a hawk flies over. Hawks usually do flyovers before diving, and alert rooster sounds the signal, and the hawk goes hungry if they seek cover. Add the cds also to the clothes line, as many as you can find.

Ohhh and put some corn out for the crows...

all predator-proofing of your pen is smarter than breaking the law. costs less too, in case you get caught--and folks take killing raptors illegally very seriously.

don't want hawks taking your birds...don't create a "chicken take-out" situation.

clothesline as was suggested is cheap and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom