ways to become self sufficient

tongue.png

Last edited:
No, this is the system I'm eventually going to build..
aquasystem.jpg

see one tank for freshwater prawns..one for tilapia and one for crawfish. thne you see behind those tanks are 3 growbeds for the veggies..

the system in that other pic belongs to a woman in australia...nice huh?

Tilapias inhabit a variety of fresh and, less commonly, brackish water habitats from shallow streams and ponds through to rivers, lakes, and estuaries, they are also an invasive species and illegal without a permit to cultivate in some states

as far as buying tilapia, imported fillets sell for about $5 to $6 per pound, frozen fillets from China for about $2 per pound. Tilapia from U.S. farms is the most expensive, about $8 to $10 per pound.

I can get fingerlings for $1 each
freshwater prawn.. Post-larvae (50,000 or less) -- $85.00 / thousand

I know southern28chick has one of thses going too but hers is a little girly LOL...

heres some additional suggestions, you may want these when gas hits $4 a gallon this summer...and even more after the sheeple vote for another 100 yrs in iraq, but i digress....

Save on your grocery bill

--Purchase bulk amounts of loss leaders, items on sale at a big discount. watch for the sale ad's on non perishable/canned items and stock up, keep adding to your stock as you find items on sale. if you have a few different stores in your area you can pick up sale items from each and save a bunch of money.

-- shop alone, leave the kids at home if possible.
-- dont shop on an empty stomach, i can attest to this one personally, i'll spend 2x as much on impulse items.
-- Seek out supermarkets that will double -- some super stores even triple -- the face value of manufacturers' coupons.

--Purchase frozen concentrate 100% (real) juice instead of ready-to-use stuff from the refrigerator case - an even more wasteful purchase for juice is individual containers.

Dont Waste!

--Have a Pizza Night and make your own crust and use up all those things in the refrigerator/freezer for toppings. Use an inexpensive can of tomato sauce + Italian Spices for the red sauce, it's cheaper than pizza sauce. Freeze the portion of tomato sauce you don't use and use it on your next pizza). Even if you purchase the inexpensive crust mixes, you'll have fun and save a lot of money.

-The heels of bread can be made into bread crumbs, crutons, and bread pudding.

-- 99% of food that isnt eaten can be composted and turned back into your garden to grow more food.

CAUTION

- The expensive foods are more often than not located on the middle shelves.

- Impulse Purchases. 40% of grocery store purchases are impulse purchases. Another good reason to have a list.... HOWEVER, some good impulse purchases, such as discounted fruit/veggies and boxed/canned foods in the discount area, or an unadvertized managers special. BUT, they still need to fit into the allowed budgeted amount.

Know when to stock-up...in-shell and shelled nuts are always discounted, and you can vacuum seal them. A couple times a year canned veggies or fruit are cheapest.

- Frequent Shopping. Stopping at the grocery store everytime you need/want something can be a budget-buster. If you are stopping more than once a week, it's probably a sign you aren't good at planning and don't have a good amount of foods in storage.

- Improper Food Storage. ... A vacuum sealer can benefit anyone who has lots of foods in storage. place dry-goods, such as pasta and beans, in them and vacuum seal them for long storage. Vacuum-sealing will also prevent dry-goods from getting buggy.

Buy cheese in bulk and vacuum-seal it for longer storage. Grate your own and store it in a vacuum-sealed canister. It's cheaper to grate your own than to purchase already shredded cheese.

- Sales and Coupons.
Coupons tend to make people purchase things they normally wouldn't buy

Always keep in mind that the more processed the food is, the more you will pay for it. Plain old rice is CHEAP... Add your own inexpensive herbs/flavorings and make your own "high-priced" mixes for a fraction of the price, throw in some diced up leftover chicken and you have an inexpensive meal

even cheap Ramen can be doctored up to make a really good meal like

Ramen Pad Thai

1 packet Ramen
1 glove garlic
3/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tsp. curry powder (adjust to taste)
1/2 cup diced chicken

Start making ramen according to directions

Crush the glove of garlic and put in a saucepan. Add broth, I use half the packet that comes with the ramen and mix it with the 3/4 cup water. Then, add peanut butter, soy sauce, and curry powder. Simmer until peanut butter is melted down, which takes about as long as cooking the ramen, so it's really quick. Then I add the chicken to the sauce and then the ramen. Stir and enjoy.

have a goal to gather and store items that your family could use in an emergency situation, especially if you live in danger prone areas like hurricane zones. heres a suggested list

January
Suggested items:
25 Ibs. Rice
10 bars soap

72 Hour Kit:
Back pack or tote bag
1 bar of soap
1 box matches (strike anywhere type)
1 disposable butane lighter
10 one dollar bills

February
Suggested items
25 Ibs. Oats
10 candles

72 Hour Kit
1 large candle
3 day supply food
Water purifying tablets
10 one dollar bills

March
Suggested items
25 Ibs. Dried beans
5 boxes matches (prefer strike-anywhere type)

72 Hour Kit
Battery powered, or hand crank radio and extra batteries
10 one dollar bills

April
Suggested items
25 Ibs. Pasta
2 flashlights (at least one LED type) and batteries

72 Hour Kit
Flashlight and extra batteries
Paper and pencil
Pencil sharpener
10 one dollar bills.

May
Suggested items
10 pkg. toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper plates

72 Hour Kit
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper plates
Drinking cups
Plastic utensils
Emergency map
10 one dollar bills

June
Suggested items
10 Ibs. Oil or shortening
Extra blankets

72 Hour Kit
Change of clothes for each family member --don't forget shoes.
Sleeping bag or blankets
Instruction manuals on Emergency Preparedness and First Aid
10 one dollar bills

July
Suggested items
25 lbs. dry milk
First Aid Kit (will make my own)

72 Hour Kit
First Aid Kit (will make my own)
Utility knife with extra blades
Can opener
10 one dollar bills

August
Suggested items
Spices (those most used)

72 Hour Kit
Plastic bags and ties for garbage
Plastic baggies
10 one dollar bills

September
Suggested items
5 Ibs. Salt per person
3 boxes laundry soap

72 Hour Kit
10 one dollar bills
Small ax
Single flare
Review emergency plan with family.

October
Suggested items
10 lbs. peanut butter
Medicines

72 Hour Kit
Medicines (Prescription and over the counter --ex. Tylenol, cold medicines)
Add to First Aid kit extra supplies
10 one dollar bills

November
Suggested items
100 Ibs. Potatoes (equivalent in instant/flaked)
Vitamins
72 Hour Kit
Bucket (plastic bucket with tight fitting lid)
10 one dollar bills

December
Suggested items
25 Ibs. Sugar or honey

72 Hour Kit
Disinfectant
10 one dollar bills
Review emergency maps and escape plan.

First Aid Kit
For 72 hr kit

Alcohol wipes
Roll of gauze
2x2 sterile pads
Roll adhesive tape
Q-tips
Eye wash
Band aids
Liquid skin
Antibacterial moist wipes
Antibacterial ointment
Super glue
Disposable butane lighter

I know southern28chick has one of thses going too but hers is a little girly LOL...

Girly!?!?!?!?! Yeah, it's a bit girly.
lol.png
I'm sure men don't worry about laundry and baby wipes huh.
tongue.png

lol.png
lol.png
oh i've delt with my fair share of laundry and baby wipes. I raised my daughter as single daddy, that was a learning experience. spend all my time trying to get her to walk and talk now i spend all my time trying to get her to sit down and shut up LOL

Back
Top Bottom