ways to cool your chickens off?

what about puting up a fan in the coop? mine has vents on the north and south sides plus the coop door, but its still hot. is a fan making them wimps?

My girls ARE wimps! They have a fan in their coop and one outside their run pointed at their favorite dust bathing spot!
roll.png

I have been using a mister, but it's been getting really hot here lately. I tried something different yesterday that seemed to work better. I parked our biggest tractor in full shade, then hosed down the ground inside, plus the shade tarps on top of it. Then I put the birds in.

I repeated this process every hour or so throughout the heat of the afternoon (letting the birds out before I hosed things down, of course). The birds really seemed to manage the heat much better this way.

Ours have two big Hickories in their run, so they have shade. However, they do appreciate the fan:

Fanzines0610.jpg

We use big, rubber, hog bowls for water and toss in gallon containers of frozen water in the mornings to keep the rest of the water relatively cool during most of the day.

Quote:
That is a great photo! I'm glad I live in Idaho! We usually have some days in the 90's and a few 100. But never that much. Just the cold winters. This year has been very cool, had one day that hit 92. My sister sets her sprinkler up to hit her chicken runs on the hotter days.
But so far my chickens seem ok... I have lots of shade though.

Duramaxgirl wrote: I'm glad I live in Idaho!

Nice and dry, imagine that. Humidity, is there anything it can't curl/uncurl...

During the first 100° F heat index run, in June, went out to check the birds and found that our Slate tom had cleared the six foot run fencing and headed straight to one of the water filled hog bowls in the yard (hunkered down in it and went to sleep). The chooks and turks have pretty much adjusted, now. I just keep a shot of the Never Summer's in CO. to reference when dripping...
FearlessVasser0610.jpg

Back
Top Bottom