Ways to deter Hawk attacks

Schneider0925

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 14, 2014
I recently started having a Hawk attack my 12 girls. Luckily I was close enough to save them. Since then I have done some recearch on Hawks and learned that if they don't have a clear flight path they won't attack for fear of hurting their wings. So I don't have the money to enclose their enclosed for free ranging. So I came up with an alternative solution. I created a spiders web of white string over the enclosure to unclear it's flight path. I also hung some old CD's I had to reflect and scare them away. So far it seams to have worked. I hope this helps anyone.

I recently started having a Hawk attack my 12 girls. Luckily I was close enough to save them. Since then I have done some recearch on Hawks and learned that if they don't have a clear flight path they won't attack for fear of hurting their wings. So I don't have the money to enclose their enclosed for free ranging. So I came up with an alternative solution. I created a spiders web of white string over the enclosure to unclear it's flight path. I also hung some old CD's I had to reflect and scare them away. So far it seams to have worked. I hope this helps anyone.
Good idea, hopefully it works.

I've covered my 50 x 7 outside run with very inexpensive bird netting from Home Depot. Keeps my girls from flying over the 4 ft high plastic fencing as well as keeping hawks & owls out.

Update:Since I've put up the spider Web of string and the Cd's I'm HAPPY to report not 1 Hawk attack. They don't even fly over anymore. I think my experiment was a success!!!!

That's great!
ya.gif

Update:Since I've put up the spider Web of string and the Cd's I'm HAPPY to report not 1 Hawk attack. They don't even fly over anymore. I think my experiment was a success!!!!
It works very well in Florida. The outdoor restaurants, especially near the water use fishing line to keep the seagulls from invading patrons dining outdoors.

First of all we live across from a small lake where hawks are always flying around looking for food. Until we had chickens we enjoyed seeing the large hawks swooping around. We have our chickens in our backyard fenced in by a large 6' fence and they free range all day. We had thought that our chickens were to large to interest the hawks but one day my husband was out in the yard working on the coop roof and a large hawk swooped down and grabbed on of our large bodied full grown hens. My husband jumped off the roof to scare the hawk and the hawk just turned it's head and basically did not care and proceeded to attack the hen. Not until my husband actually kicked at the hawk did it fly away. Well after keeping all then hens in for about a week we thought that the hawks would have found a new hunting spot but low and behold we would see them sitting in the trees and on top of the neighbor's houses just eyeing the hens. So, a friend of ours gave us 2 3D rubber/plastic wolf / coyote decoys. We planted them in a couple of spots in the hen's roaming area and did not have a single hawk attack or problem for over 2 1/2 years!! One day my son took them down to mow and forgot to put them back up. Well, not more than 5 days later we lost 2 of our hens to hawks. So, I am saying in our experience, the wolf decoys WORK!! Needless to say, our wolf / coyote decoys never are allowed to leave the yard!!

Doesn't scare the chickens but keeps the hawks at bay!!
You can get them on Amazon. Search wolf decoys. Make sure you buy a 3 D decoy or they will not work with hawks because they can't see them from above.

UPDATE:Since I've installed my spider Web and CD's I haven't had 1 attempt from the hawks. I even recently had a hawk in 1 of the trees above my girls. It just sat their for a bit staring at my girls and then just flew off. I've had a few circle but no attacks!

UPDATE:Since I've installed my spider Web and CD's I haven't had 1 attempt from the hawks. I even recently had a hawk in 1 of the trees above my girls. It just sat their for a bit staring at my girls and then just flew off. I've had a few circle but no attacks!
Great!
Can you post some pics of it?

Back
Top Bottom