Ways to get ducks to eat oyster shell???

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
I have a mixed flock, and in the case of the pekin ducks, lots of drakes I've not yet culled. One of my hens is laying an egg a day, between 1.7 and 2.0 oz. We'll call her "green" for the color of her zip tie leg band.

Anyhow, I feed my birds All Flock, which isn't an "extra calcium" feed like Layer. I also keep grit and oyster shell, in separate dishes available as free choice 24/7 - and have since their 6th week of age. The birds free range as well, about 12 hours daily, light permitting.

Anyhow, when I walk out and toss egg shells on the compost pile,"Green" runs for it - beating the Comets, the Brahma, the Rainbows and all the rest to the pile, then starts wolfing down egg shell like a half starved lunatic at an all you can eat buffet. The other ducks don't even move in that direction.

My suspicion, therefore, is that she needs more calcium than what she's getting - even though all that free choice oyster shell is available. So...

Looking for ways to add to her calcium intake... or to make the oyster shell more attractive to her??? Egg shells are ok for now (assuming I keep buying eggs at the grocery, since none of my chicks seems to be laying yet...grrrrr), but once her sisters start laying, I won't have enough egg shells on a daily basis to match the 2-3 daily she currently consumes.

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

What kind of oyster shells do you buy? The white kind or grey kind? My ducks will barely touch the white kind but gobble up the grey kind. You might try offering her a different type, and perhaps sprinkle a few mealworms on top. My ducks usually think new things are dangerous, but are willing to try if mealworms are involved.

...the only kind available at TSC in a 50# bag. They look just like the ones in the 5# bag from DuMor. White.

I don't suppose I could "borrow" some oyster shells from behind the local seafood place, then cook them in a fire and crush them with a 12# sledge? (Yes, I'd ask permission first - may be their trash, but its still not my property.)

...the only kind available at TSC in a 50# bag. They look just like the ones in the 5# bag from DuMor. White.

I don't suppose I could "borrow" some oyster shells from behind the local seafood place, then cook them in a fire and crush them with a 12# sledge? (Yes, I'd ask permission first - may be their trash, but its still not my property.)
There has been a few other members who have said their ducks aren't eating oyster shells and they've told me they are feeding the white kind, too. I'm curious if you get ahold of the grey kind if your duck will start eating them like mine did.

When I first tried the white almost rock like oyster shells every morning when I went out the dish was tipped over and the shells trampled in the mud. I switched to Small Pet Select's Oyster Shells which are gray and shaved instead of crushed. My ducks love the small pet select shells! I buy mine off of chewy.com

When I first tried the white almost rock like oyster shells every morning when I went out the dish was tipped over and the shells trampled in the mud. I switched to Small Pet Select's Oyster Shells which are gray and shaved instead of crushed. My ducks love the small pet select shells! I buy mine off of chewy.com
I didn't know you could get duck stuff from chewy! That's what the oyster shells my ducks like to eat look like. :)

Back
Top Bottom