Ways to make Tom gobble less?

HarmonyFox

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
So we have a lone Tom, we want to eventually get him a female but haven't yet. We love our turkey and we're not usually bothered by his gobbles but, assumably since it's mating season, his gobbles have went up. He non-stop gobbles for maybe 2 hours in the morning and will pitch fits throughout the day at the slightest noises. We just don't want someone to start complaining. We can handle him fine but there might be someone close by who doesn't appreciate the non-stop alarm. Not to mention we'll be moving soon and the new place will actually have more noise for him to gobble at. We're just worried. He's very sweet and we love him greatly so we don't want someone to complain or possibly want to hurt him. In the fall and winter he only gobbles if there's some kind of threat. Would he be more quiet if we found him a girl? Should I put a tarp up so he sees less from the coop in the morning? Should the new coop have 4 solid walls instead of 3 so that sound is muffled for him?

So we have a lone Tom, we want to eventually get him a female but haven't yet. We love our turkey and we're not usually bothered by his gobbles but, assumably since it's mating season, his gobbles have went up. He non-stop gobbles for maybe 2 hours in the morning and will pitch fits throughout the day at the slightest noises. We just don't want someone to start complaining. We can handle him fine but there might be someone close by who doesn't appreciate the non-stop alarm. Not to mention we'll be moving soon and the new place will actually have more noise for him to gobble at. We're just worried. He's very sweet and we love him greatly so we don't want someone to complain or possibly want to hurt him. In the fall and winter he only gobbles if there's some kind of threat. Would he be more quiet if we found him a girl? Should I put a tarp up so he sees less from the coop in the morning? Should the new coop have 4 solid walls instead of 3 so that sound is muffled for him?
This is life with a tom turkey. He is only doing what is natural for him to do.

I concur with HarmonyFox ,
We have two Toms, each with a flocklette (maybe harem is better) of three hens for our breeding stock. Their gobbling doesn't seem to be tied to who or what is around, hen or not. They gobble day or night at the drop of a hat, any unusual sound, errant horn honk, door closing, feed bucket rattle, or shadow drifting by. We have a one acre lot that is 330 long and we built the pen at the very back edge! It's 6 am right now, dark and they are gobbling. Have been since 4 am. They are what they are and so far in the three years we've had them, the neighbors don't seem to mind.

I concur with HarmonyFox ,
We have two Toms, each with a flocklette (maybe harem is better) of three hens for our breeding stock. Their gobbling doesn't seem to be tied to who or what is around, hen or not. They gobble day or night at the drop of a hat, any unusual sound, errant horn honk, door closing, feed bucket rattle, or shadow drifting by. We have a one acre lot that is 330 long and we built the pen at the very back edge! It's 6 am right now, dark and they are gobbling. Have been since 4 am. They are what they are and so far in the three years we've had them, the neighbors don't seem to mind.
I'm just worried. We've lived where we're moving to before but since then the neighbor built a volleyball court. A ton of random people come and play volleyball ball there untill like 3AM and when the volleyball hits the court it makes a loud base noise that will definitely set my baby off. Not to mention their hollering too. Turkey gobbles in the morning is one thing but I'm worried we might get complaints if it's at night. Maybe I'll try to take him inside at night when they play. I just don't want anyone messing with him. Our friends have had people poison their chickens before and every time anyone heard our turkey if they came over they ask if they can go turkey hunting. We tell him that it's just our pet turkey and they always ask if we're going to eat him. I'm just really used to people only seeing him as food or a trophy when to us he's our pet. It also makes us a bit nervous because we don't know any of the people who play volleyball ball despite the neighbor being family. Some nights there's probably 75 cars there and we know they don't know the majority of the people either. Since they're so close to us and there's so many people it just makes us nervous to have such an unusual and noisy pet but at the same time we love him and have been with him for two years now so we obviously want to keep him with us.

Volley Ball at 3 am. Not sure who would be more at fault for a disturbance- the turkey or them! LOL. Sounds like you are in a hoot of a new neighborhood! I expect that they won't be complaining if you don't. Good luck with the neighbors. :cool:

Hi, what did you end up doing with your Tom? Did you build the 4 solid walls and cover up his view in the mornings?
We to have a lonely Tom as well and are worried about his gobbling being too loud for neighbors. We may not have a choice but to re-home him if he keeps gobbling at every little noise. We’d be very heartbroken if we have to give him up, he’s very sweet and friendly.

I used to have a tom. He would gobble in the morning. Early. Neighbors didn't complain like a rooster, but... I built him a straw home. that was dark 4 straw bales and a board on top. He didn't cobble while it was dark until I let him out. Also they, like a rooster like to lift their heads to gobble.

I used to have a tom. He would gobble in the morning. Early. Neighbors didn't complain like a rooster, but... I built him a straw home. that was dark 4 straw bales and a board on top. He didn't cobble while it was dark until I let him out. Also they, like a rooster like to lift their heads to gobble.
Thank you, good to know. Hopefully a low home will help him gobble less.

Back
Top Bottom