Ways to save $$ with rising food costs... besides your own eggs!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SeaChick, Jun 10, 2008.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Along the lines of several recent threads, I thought folks would like to see this article from a local paper. It has some great tips. I'll add: shop the perimeter of the store where food is fresher, whole, less processed and therefore a much better value.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=193120&ac=

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    That was a good article, thanks for posting it! I already do most of those things. I was raised by a woman who was a young mother during the depression. I came along quite a bit later! She and my husband's grandmother I think invented reduce, reuse and recycle! lol You didn't throw away nuttin' in my house. If there was a tablespoonful of food left in a dish it was saved in case somebody needed a bite later on. I still wash and reuse plastic bags, foil, etc. The list is too long for here.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    To add to BearSwampChick's comment...

...I find it rather depressing to constantly see all these "ways to save $$" articles and so forth, and discover that I am already DOING all those things (which kinda removes any possibility of saving $$ compared to now).

When I am in a grouchy mood I tend to think those articles should be retitled "How To Spend Wastefully And Lose Money Hand Over Fist," with simple rephrasing to "don't use coupons or stock up during sales, buy lots of processed food," etc.

Hmph.

Pat, evidently in a grouchy mood at present [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pat, evidently in a grouchy mood at present

Me, too, Pat, me, too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by