wazine

Thank you so much for asking about coop clean up! My pullets and 2 laying hens free range most of the day...so they could have picked up the worms anywhere, right? Not sure if deep cleaning the coop at this point would do much.

Also, is Wazine okay to use as a first time wormer?

I guess I'll know in a few days. I have read so much about worming chickens that I just made a decision. I bought the 6 pullets recently and was concerned about adding them to my flock, dreading the hen pecking that they will have to endure. I found a roundworm in the pen I keep them in so that's why I wormed them today. I had planned to mix them this weekend but now think I should worm the others first. I sure hate to do without eggs for 14 days but I plan to give my flock Wazine today and bite the store bought egg bullet for a while.

I love to allow them to free range and do so almost every day when I get home from work at 4 til roost time. I assume that they just need worming a few times a year regardless of free range or confined.

I love my chickens!! I plan to expand gradually to maybe 50 layers. I have an old and very large chicken house.

Found evidence of worms in chicken poo this morning. Skinny little white ones. Not sure what kind they are. Ran up to the feed store and bought 2 different products not knowing which would be better. One on left (Wazine 17) appears to be well known frequently used, add to water, treats roundworms. One on right (Rooster Booster Multi-wormer Triple Action) was intriguing to me because it listed 3 different kinds of worms, you add to feed.

Anyone have experience with either one?
Suggestions?

IMG

Found evidence of worms in chicken poo this morning. Skinny little white ones. Not sure what kind they are. Ran up to the feed store and bought 2 different products not knowing which would be better. One on left (Wazine 17) appears to be well known frequently used, add to water, treats roundworms. One on right (Rooster Booster Multi-wormer Triple Action) was intriguing to me because it listed 3 different kinds of worms, you add to feed.

Anyone have experience with either one?
Suggestions?

Did they look like this?

-Kathy

No, they were long and skinny. Should have taken a picture. They were almost thread-like and about 2 inches long...all swirled up with eachother.

No, they were long and skinny. Should have taken a picture. They were almost thread-like and about 2 inches long...all swirled up with eachother.

Those sound like roundworms. The Wazine should work if the drink enough of the medicated water. Don't know about the other one. Note that the Wazine only treats large roundworms, so you might want to think about investing in some Valbazen in case you ever want to treat other worms.

Roundworms
4_13.gif

Cecal Worms
4_14.gif

-Kathy

The little one on the left in the top photo looks pretty close! So, how do I know if they'll drink enough?
Thanks so much for your help!

The little one on the left in the top photo looks pretty close! So, how do I know if they'll drink enough?
Thanks so much for your help!
That's the problem with putting medications in water... no way to know for sure. I think that Dawg53 has recommended that people remove the water at night, then give medicated water to them in the morning and leave it out as there only water source for 24 hours. Only water source means no puddles, creeks, ponds, etc.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom