WCB Polish gender guess?

SurferchickinSB

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 23, 2018
California
I know they are very young, only a week old, but wondering if there are any people experienced with this breed that may have a guess? I bought them as straight run but I am hoping for two females, as I am looking at them, I think one is a male and one is a female. I tried to pick the ones that looked like they had the round globes on their head, but they move so fast and they don’t let the customer touch them because of bio security. I am home with them now for one day and as I stare at their heads, I noticed one doesn’t look as round as the other. One also seems to stand up very tall compared to the other one. I hope I don’t have a male, because then I can’t keep him.

Attachments

• 5ED979D3-F6D2-45E7-85EE-AE0CD1DD7F50.jpeg
    5ED979D3-F6D2-45E7-85EE-AE0CD1DD7F50.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 26C14153-AE6F-4A4B-9BC2-0E7A80A9B62D.jpeg
    26C14153-AE6F-4A4B-9BC2-0E7A80A9B62D.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 009EA67F-A9AF-4D53-9BE9-647382EBEBBB.jpeg
    009EA67F-A9AF-4D53-9BE9-647382EBEBBB.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 09E2FCA6-903C-48AA-AF35-699B2BD0A3C7.jpeg
    09E2FCA6-903C-48AA-AF35-699B2BD0A3C7.jpeg
    601.2 KB · Views: 4
  • D8C36B41-DCC1-4355-A739-361B628D3D2C.jpeg
    D8C36B41-DCC1-4355-A739-361B628D3D2C.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 4
Wayyy too young to sex. Polish are difficult as it is. Wait until they're about eight weeks
I thought some people have a magical way of telling Polish sexes by their crest. I guess I could always send away for a DNA test. I was just hoping somebody with a lot of Polish experience would know by how their heads look or by their stance.

I thought some people have a magical way of telling Polish sexes by their crest. I guess I could always send away for a DNA test. I was just hoping somebody with a lot of Polish experience would know by how their heads look or by their stance.
I wouldn't trust anyone trying to sex young Polish LOL! I had a show like of Polish and I think I was able to sex by 5-6 weeks once their crests actually started coming in. With birds that are a bit less consistent (like hatchery birds,) my methods do not hold very well.That being said, I have included a pic of a chick that's a pullet versus a cockerel. Notice the flatter, more spread out crest of a pullet and the slicked back one of a cockerel. This worked with my line, but I have seen plenty of chicks where this does not work, so take it with a grain of salt. Can't say it will work, but may be fun for you to guess about once they feather out! Of course, if either starts developing a reddish comb at any age, it is very likely a cockerel.
D2E22F7D-92CD-4E2F-9D88-243DB5BF4906.jpeg

3123C0DE-6202-465E-B108-A822CBE5B4E5.jpeg

I wouldn't trust anyone trying to sex young Polish LOL! I had a show like of Polish and I think I was able to sex by 5-6 weeks once their crests actually started coming in. With birds that are a bit less consistent (like hatchery birds,) my methods do not hold very well.That being said, I have included a pic of a chick that's a pullet versus a cockerel. Notice the flatter, more spread out crest of a pullet and the slicked back one of a cockerel. This worked with my line, but I have seen plenty of chicks where this does not work, so take it with a grain of salt. Can't say it will work, but may be fun for you to guess about once they feather out! Of course, if either starts developing a reddish comb at any age, it is very likely a cockerel.
View attachment 2628170
View attachment 2628172
OK, thank you for speaking out with the voice of experience! I was looking at the Internet and they say you can tell the baby chicks apart and when they are a few days old by the shape of their crest before their feathers come in.

OK, thank you for speaking out with the voice of experience! I was looking at the Internet and they say you can tell the baby chicks apart and when they are a few days old by the shape of their crest before their feathers come in.
I believe I found the article you were talking about! I am skeptical of it, just because Polish often leaves experienced people guessing for months. I would wonder if it would work on a line that's of good quality and quite consistent, but I am not comfortable trying that method on chicks over the internet because I have never tried it and don't typically see it being used by experienced sexers on this site. :)

I believe I found the article you were talking about! I am skeptical of it, just because Polish often leaves experienced people guessing for months. I would wonder if it would work on a line that's of good quality and quite consistent, but I am not comfortable trying that method on chicks over the internet because I have never tried it and don't typically see it being used by experienced sexers on this site. :)
Yeah, my feed store gets the chicks from the hatchery, so it was really hard looking at the crests and seeing which were the roundest and because of bio security they don’t let you touch the chicks, so once you see one you want, they run somewhere else and you end up with one you didn’t really want. When you’re standing up above them and they are down in a tub, all their heads look round, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom