WD40 what happens if.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have seen in many threads for scaly leg mites that wd 40 is recommended to treat it...or motor oil even. What happens if the bird ingests some of this? Isn't that bad for them?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yikes!!! If you want to try an oil for the mites, try something like olive oil.

Yes, I would think some of it could be ingested. I would worry about it being absorbed by the bird's skin.

3. Ihaven't seen anything about using WD 40 , but if they say you can use that I had rather use olive oil.I use olive oil for squeaky doors, and almost any thing that calls for oilof anykind, IguessI'm just a olive oil nut marrie

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i know about 5+ people that use WD40, so far no negative defects, and gets rid of scaley leg mites

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Any sort of oil will work. In the "old days" Kerosene was the treatment of choice. I don't see how there's be much risk of the birds injesting oil that was rubbed on their legs?

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine peck at each others legs while on the roost to get them to move over so that's what made me think of that. I was just wondering how safe everyone thought it was.

7. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    i always rub vasiline or neosporin on their legs for about a week and it clears up and i think it would feel better than wd40

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Since these are animals that producing food for you & your family, use non-toxic oily products: vaseline, vegetable oil, EVOO.

The point is to smother the mites, so anything that will accomplish this is fine.

9. Brahmadarma

Brahmadarma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    WD40 is basically fish oil and non-toxic. I have used it on my horses as a fly-repellent. I think it only has toxic associations because of its connection with cars.
    You could always test it on your own skin and maybe even lick a bit - that's what I would do if I was worried.
    Good luck

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:I agree!

As to the motor oil, it does contain toxins that can be absorbed topically by the chickens. Not my first choice of oils! Bag Balm is thicker and may last longer, as well as having a mild sulfa drug to discourage inflammation or infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by