We adopted an inbred hen with a mangled foot

I have a tip for getting this girl to think you're her friend. If you have the time, spend it playing body guard.

I adopted two adult hens over the course of three years. Neither one trusted me in the beginning. But none of the flock trusted the newcomers either. When the new girl would start to get beat up by another chicken, I would get down on my knees and hold out my hands and the new girl would quickly decide I offered more safety than the chicken that was pounding her.

I didn't actually grab her. I just offered a "port in the storm" for her to scoot between my legs for cover. Over the course of several weeks, we became pretty good buddies. One of these hens actually learned her new name and to come when I call her.

Hi,
No need for a roost. Just make a nice deep bed of hardwood shavings. My Sussex never had Roosts at night and do just fine. They just nestle down in the chips.
Now I will add more info to this. I put a thin layer of food grade diatomaceous earth on the bottom. Then a thin layer of sweet pdz over that. Then 4-6 inches of hardwood chips over that. Makes a Great bed.
The DE kills any bugs that crawl to the bottom of the nest. The Sweet PDZ helps keep it dry and cut down on amonnia smell. The chips are deep enough the birds usually don't dig to the bottom when "arranging" their bed.
What is a "thin layer"? It is a layer just thick enough so one can't see the substance underneath.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom