1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We appear to have pulled off our first staggered hatch...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninjapoodles, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    ...even with a several-hour power failure! [​IMG] Yep, I accidentally unplugged the incubator instead of the egg-turner yesterday. By the time I realized what I'd done, the temp was down to 74. I thought I'd surely killed them all, because the eggs were stone cold. You coulda knocked me over with a chicken-feather when eggs started hatching today, Day 19.

I set one batch of eggs 4 weeks ago, and added another batch to the same incubator 8 days later. 9 chicks hatched from the first group last week, and so far I have 4 hatched and three more pipped from the second group tonight (Day 19 for them).

I kept the humidity between 25-35% until Group #1's Day 18, then raised it to between 45-55% until the first hatch was complete. Candled at that point, and all of the Group #2 eggs were alive and kicking, so put them back in and backed the humidity back down until yesterday, which is also when I managed to unplug the incubator for several hours. [​IMG]

So I have no idea what to expect from this second batch, but at least I didn't kill them all! I wish I hadn't screwed up, because now if I don't get a good hatch rate, I won't be sure what went wrong. I was trying to see how successful I could be doing a staggered hatch.

OH--how I handled the actual first hatching, from suggestions from BYCers in an earlier thread: I took out the entire egg-turner rack, removed the eggs that were due to hatch and put them in a carton (with extras just on the wire). Hubby popped out half of the turner racks, and I replaced the turner, and put the cartons on the other side of the incubator. I put a cardboard divider down the middle to keep hatching chicks out of the turner, and I also popped them into a brooder as soon as they dried.

2. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Yay you, way to go. [​IMG]

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    [​IMG] wheres the pics, want to see them fuzzy butts

4. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Will do! (My Flickr contacts are getting SO sick of chicken pictures!) [​IMG]

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome job, Ninja!!! [​IMG]

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Woo hoo Ninja!! Way to go! I had a staggered hatch too! First group hatched last Tuesday, second group is pipping tonight! [​IMG]

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yay Ninja!!!
    Waiting on those pictures [​IMG]
    Christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by