We are at capacity or are we???? :)

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
I wanted a small little flock, like maybe 3 or 4 hens and a rooster. In less than 3 weeks we are at 8 pullets/hens, 4 chicks in the brooder, and a young rooster. I knew it would happen. There's just so many breeds and I love having the variety. Here is picture of just the girls tonight. I am seriously done! Someone stop me. I can't count on my husband because he has turned into a chickaholic as well.
tongue.png

2960wu8.jpg

Trust me, it's not worth the fight. My mum and I got started with a just few hens and now, even with the fight my brother and father have put up, we're at 11 chickens and counting. It hasn't even been two years yet and we're getting more chicks this spring. Like it or not chickens are addicting.
tongue.png

2 years ago we started with 4 hens. then chick days started at TSC and I had to get some....does 16 cound as some?? then we saw a listing on craigslist and they guy lived about 5 or 6 miles from us...so we HAD to stop by and see what kind of chicks he had....and we got 6. and we stopped at that point. a few died of unknown causes at the time. and then that november one of the girls went broody and hatched two chickies...then we had the notion to build our own incubator and hatch out own...and we hatched 6 chickies that are still doing well. we have since sent some chickens to my Dad's so they could start their own little flock, and a few roos have gone to the freezer. then last spring we decided it was time to order chicks to diversify our flock a bit....we ordered 25 and got 27. then chick days at TSC happened right on schedule and I just couldn't resist those cute little bantams....ended up with 12. now after starting out with only 4 hens 2 years ago...we are now at around 50!!
hu.gif
I don't even know how it happened.
th.gif
as soon as we get a free weekend the older ladies will go to the freezer, but until then I am still feeding them all. I have been out to the coop off and on all day; watching chicken tv
smile.png

There is really no point in counting anymore. as long as you have the room.......get more
wee.gif

You have plenty of room. We did a head count last night and we have 45 as of right now, but we have 42 eggs in one incubator and plan on setting about 42 in another incubator tomorrow night.

It is something that I enjoy and I love it when I walk into a coup and my birds run up to me to greet me.

What can I say, I'm addicted.

Back
Top Bottom