We are back!

My gals came in today! Unfortunately one didnt make it and was crushed, but the other 7 look healthy. Might have 1 weak, but took an egg out for the yolk just incase.

More updates later!

View attachment 2872259
I'm sorry that you lost one, I hope your weak one, pulls through. They are so cute. Good luck!

So when I get into a hobby I kind of dive head first. I got the 7 Lavender Orphingtons and I kind of want the following as well..

Green Queen
Easter Egger
Olive Egger
Blue Ameraucana
Black Copper Maran

I really wanted to add some egg color variation. Would all of these get along? There is a hatch date of Nov 1st.
They would get along fine.
So the coop that you are building is a minimum of 48 sq feet and will have 12' of roost space for these 12 birds? What open air design did you go with?

They would get along fine.
So the coop that you are building is a minimum of 48 sq feet and will have 12' of roost space for these 12 birds? What open air design did you go with?
Since they are day old chicks I am building the coop this weekend and the following. I have a pic in the thread of the design I am going to mimic.

Once I get my buddy over here I am going to draw it out on paper and get a supply list together.

The gals had a very busy day today, first being born Monday, to traveling across the US to find their new home.

Handled each one today for a few minutes, 3 fell asleep in my hand.

One real question, most of the birds are gathering around a spot that is 105 degrees. Is that ok? The outside temp is around 74, inside the garage where they are is around 72.

1634783893702.png

Decided to get 6 more chicks to have a total size of 12 + 1 unknown in the flock. Started building some plans tonight, will finalize them over the weekend and post them for review.

Flock will consist of-

7x Lavender Orphingtons
1x Green Queen
1x Easter Egger
1x Olive Egger
1x Blue Ameraucana
1x Black Copper Maran
1x Mystery Female

The gals had a very busy day today, first being born Monday, to traveling across the US to find their new home.

Handled each one today for a few minutes, 3 fell asleep in my hand.

One real question, most of the birds are gathering around a spot that is 105 degrees. Is that ok? The outside temp is around 74, inside the garage where they are is around 72.

View attachment 2873188
There shouldn't be a spot there that is that warm. The chick on the left has it's wings held out indicating it's hot. I would slightly raise the lamp and move it closer to the edge so you don't cook them or cause pasty butt. Shoot for 95F or just below at chick height.
Have you introduced all of them to their water source and have you seen all of them drink? Did you put any SaveAChick in one water source with plain water in a second?

There shouldn't be a spot there that is that warm. The chick on the left has it's wings held out indicating it's hot. I would slightly raise the lamp and move it closer to the edge so you don't cook them or cause pasty butt. Shoot for 95F or just below at chick height.
Have you introduced all of them to their water source and have you seen all of them drink? Did you put any SaveAChick in one water source with plain water in a second?

I would totally agree with you if the other 90% of the brooder wasnt cooler. That is the one spot that is 105 degrees, slightly to the right and left of it is 95 degrees. The other side of the brooder is around 75-80.

Sadly I did not know about save-a-chick until I was in bed last night watching some videos. That chick is up and running around this morning, so I think she is ok.

My only concern about raising the light is they are already huddled to the hottest part of the brooder, if they were hot wouldn't they move to another spot?

I would totally agree with you if the other 90% of the brooder wasnt cooler. That is the one spot that is 105 degrees, slightly to the right and left of it is 95 degrees. The other side of the brooder is around 75-80.

Sadly I did not know about save-a-chick until I was in bed last night watching some videos. That chick is up and running around this morning, so I think she is ok.

My only concern about raising the light is they are already huddled to the hottest part of the brooder, if they were hot wouldn't they move to another spot?
Are you sure about the accuracy of your thermometer? How active are they? They should be contentedly peeping, eating/drinking and napping throughout the day. They motor around quite a bit.

I would want the area where the food and water were kept at ambient temperature.

Have you considered investing in a brooder plate? That or a Momma Heating Pad are far better as heat sources for chicks, consume far less electricity, are no where near the fire hazard that a heat lamp is and chicks rarely, if ever, get pasty butt using them.

Back
Top Bottom