We are getting a Tom?!?

yadaguhtoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Washington State
I just got a call form a friend and he wants to give us his tom. We have two hens that are free range. My question is will it be okay just to let him go at first (our property is all fenced) and be with the girls or should we figure out a way to confine him for a bit?

Last edited:
He might try to mate with them or he might want to hurt them.
Keep a clear barrier between them the first couple days, then let them be together.
But they are going to have to learn how to coexsist. so if he tries to hurt
them you might have to break them up every once in a while.

if you have any more questions send me a PM because I
don't respond to threads.

hope i helped,
Jackie

As a rule it is best to quarantine new turk, if possible. If you know your friend has a closed flock then your odds of not introducing something to the rest of your birds are better. I'd still let `em all gawk at one another through a fence for a week or so to smooth the integration (more concerned with hens tag teaming new comer).

Good luck! Post up some shots of the crew.

I would quarantine first too, plus if he is an adult it will help him accept his new home. The last thing you would want is to turn him loose and have him take off for parts unknown. You would need a really high (or covered) fence to keep him in, even with a clipped wing I have see young BB turkeys fly up to perch on a 6' fence. A heritage turkey would probably do even better.

Well the poor tom thinks he's a chicken. He grew up with no other turkeys only chickens so for the most part he has been trying to follow the chickens around.....the free range roosters did not like it, they attacked him so we ended up culling 3 of the 4 roosters (which we were going to do anyway).This morning he and the turkey hens are eyeing each other and talking but no fighting so far. I will keep an eye on them today and seperate them if needed. I made sure he knows where the food and water is and am keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth day. Thanks for all the advice, I hadn't had a chance to look at this thread again until this morning and had already set him free with the other birds.We have an acre and a half fenced in so they can keep their distance if they want and I don't think he is willing to fly he ways about 40 lbs. my husband thinks.

Back
Top Bottom