We are Getting GOATS!

Yes her belly sticks out a little bit. I have another picture of just her.
She also looks skinny above her belly, is that a bad sign?

14550_nanbelly.jpg

From my experience it isn't a bad sign. It does look like she needs to put weight on. Do you leave hay out of them? I have hay out of mine all the time. I also give mine grain twice a day. I have also heard that you can leave baking soda out for them. I don't do this, but might start doing it. It could also be from being moved. Mine got alittle like ours, when I first got them. It took them a couple of days to get use to their new home. It could also be from different drinking water that they aren't use too. When I was in the 4-H, we had well water. When we took the goats to the fair, they didn't want to drink the city water. We would add alittle favor to the water. Hope this helps.

I agree with seabrightmom on the breeds.

She is thin, but given her Boer ancestry it wont take you long to get her back in good condition. She *might* be bred...perhaps thats why she's putting on that udder.

CONGRATS!

I agree she's definitely a Boer/Nubian mix. She does look thin, although some people like a really thin goat because they feel that means she's putting all her 'energy' into making milk. I think she's too thin.

Offer her free choice alfalfa or alfalfa/grass hay. Offer free choice loose minerals and baking soda. They will use what they need of those. Grain would be a good idea to help put weight on, some people do grain and some don't. Do some research, ask a lot of people and then make your own decisions.

Goats do not usually do well with change, especially moving to a new place, so you can expect some eating issues or other things for a little while. You may be fortunate and not have any but keep an eye on them just in case.

Do you know if they've been wormed? Have they had their CD&T shot? (If that's been talked about, sorry I missed it.)

Chirpy,

You are right about the shots and wormer. I forgot all about that. I know a lot of goat people that don't give shots and don't worm. Some only give them if they show. I know when I was growing up. We didn't give shots unless one was hurt. We did worm.

With a good worming and good hay, she will start to put weight on with no problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh my I am wondering what we just got ourselves into now.

I thought she was too thin too when my husband brought her home. We just got back from the local feedstore where we bought grain for meat goats. Is that ok? Since everyone (even the feedstore owner) agreed they look like boer cross. We also picked up sweet feed as a treat. The feedstore guy said they like the molasses in it but not to give them alot as alot isn't good for them, that the grain is better.

Today we have been cutting fresh green grass for them, as we have them in a stall for the next day or two until they get used to us. I gave them fresh water this morning and this afternoon. My husband is out there now working on making the pasture area bigger so when we turn them out they are sure to have enough space. They have been more than willing to eat everything we offered them today. Mostly they seem to be begging for attention, putting their heads out to us for petting and being nosey while we worked on fence, etc.

Their previous owners said they never fed them grain, just one bale of hay once a month in the winter and they ate pasture only in the summer months. (Poor babies!) The other two seem ok weight wise, just Nan looks thin.

He said he wormed them, but his method of worming was feeding them some kind of tobacco product??! I mean, that can't be good can it?

As for shots, I have no idea. I am trying to find a local farm vet that will come out and look at them, or atleast someone who knows about goats more than I do. I am willing to learn whatever it takes to keep these guys (and gals) healthy!

Quote:
Go to someones house that has some nice ones, useful nice ones, spend some time with them! They are so interesting and cute! Let the goats convince her!

Tina

Quote:
Ohtay...

You want a pelleted, medicated goat feed. Meat goat is fine, yes. Also, get meat goat loose minerals. DO NOT feed your buck sweet feed. It's fine for does, but deadly for bucks (can bring on UC in a hurry).

Be careful with the grass cuttings. All of this dietary change might cause rumen upset, which can be disaserous. Introduce the grains and greens SLOWLY. Youd be better off with an alfalfa/orchard hay (free choice) and gradually bringing on the concentrates. Also I HIGHLY recommend getting some ProBios gel in all of them daily for a week or so to keep that rumen happy. Watch for bloat and acidosis.

Next, get an Ivermec dewormer in them asap. Repeat this in 10 days, then monthly for a few months to knock out parasites. Once you get them fat and healthy, you can deworm every 3 months safely.

As for shots...they're SUPER easy as far as DIY. You can buy them at your feed store, usually - like Bar Vac C/D & T - for a few dollars along with 22 g 3/4" syringes/needles. Inject in the thigh muscle. Repeat as suggested on the bottle to provide protection. Easy!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom