We are new!

belljmr

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Missouri
My husband and soon to b five year old are getting 4-5 chicks on Wednesday. We have read plenty of bookss but have no real experience besides my having them as a child myself. We have all the goodies to get them off to a good start, including and secondary home before they move into their outdoor coop.We have no coop yet! The ones at the store could be blown over by a stiff wind so we are looking everywhere on here for ideas. We also have chosen our first chickens based on reviews from this site. We are getting australorps, salmon faverolles, and golden comets. Does anyone have a suggestion on how many of each to make up five, that will get along?Thanks!

Greetings from Kansas, belljmr, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here and congrats on your new chicks. In terms of them getting along, they will be fine, no matter the make up, since you are getting them as chicks. I'm sure you've explored the Coops thread on BYC. If you do create your own, make it bigger than you think you need (coop size should be 4 sq. ft./bird and run should be 10 sq. ft./bird) but bigger is better and if you ever want to add chickens... Also, hardware cloth, not chicken wire!!
Good luck to you and have fun!!

sorry my post took off before I was finished. From what I hear - salmon faverolles are rather docile chickens that tend to get picked on by other breeds. That may be something to watch out for. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule but, they are beautiful birds. I am sure there is a breed thread for them if you do a search.

Back
Top Bottom