We built a coop! What do you think?

We've had 4 chickens for almost 2 months now, and they are nearing 5 months old. It became evidently pretty quickly that we needed a bigger coop, and I think we did a darn good job of getting a great one up and running in just a few weekends. We will be improving the run eventually, but it works very well for now. Outside dimensions of the coop are 4x6'3", with the walls being 8 feet tall with additional vented space above there. The run is 6 feet tall, and approx. 8x10. The ladies are out in their run all day and free range in the yard from time to time. We are thinking of adding a few more gals next year, maybe Bantams. So...what does everyone think??

View attachment 1022503
View attachment 1022504
View attachment 1022505 View attachment 1022506
View attachment 1022507 View attachment 1022508

Very nice - my hubby just finished our run -
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_7671.JPG

Nice set up , MamaPenguin! We are redoing the run next, but it might be a couple months before we can get around to it.

In the meantime....assuming FOR NOW that we have to keep the nest boxes inside the coop...anyone have any suggestions (Based on my pictures) of a better place to put them?

The gals seem to be adjusting to their new digs. Last night was the 3rd night in there and the 1st night they went in own their own! Every morning they have been way up in the rafters when I go to let them out, but they stay up there for a while. I can't figure out if they really like it or are having trouble figuring out how to get down. :)

Nice set up , MamaPenguin! We are redoing the run next, but it might be a couple months before we can get around to it.

In the meantime....assuming FOR NOW that we have to keep the nest boxes inside the coop...anyone have any suggestions (Based on my pictures) of a better place to put them?

The gals seem to be adjusting to their new digs. Last night was the 3rd night in there and the 1st night they went in own their own! Every morning they have been way up in the rafters when I go to let them out, but they stay up there for a while. I can't figure out if they really like it or are having trouble figuring out how to get down. :)

I think the placement looks good but you may want to put a perch a couple inches out from the nesting box so they can hop onto the perch and into the box. That would help them get on in but still keep your floor space.

Looking at the boxes, you could add a 6" 2x4 to each side of the nesting box, drill a hole on each one and put some kind of tree like limb or other type of perch between them. Would be easy and would really help them jump in without smashing eggs.

Love this! The pic of your chicken in the penthouse is so cute, they love being up high lol.

They sure do! So far they have been way up high every morning when I go to open the door....and they stay up there for a bit before coming down to eat :)

Very nice, love it. I'm sure they are happy in their new place

Thanks! I sure hope they like it and start making us some eggs soon!

It's amazing!

We've had 4 chickens for almost 2 months now, and they are nearing 5 months old. It became evidently pretty quickly that we needed a bigger coop, and I think we did a darn good job of getting a great one up and running in just a few weekends. We will be improving the run eventually, but it works very well for now. Outside dimensions of the coop are 4x6'3", with the walls being 8 feet tall with additional vented space above there. The run is 6 feet tall, and approx. 8x10. The ladies are out in their run all day and free range in the yard from time to time. We are thinking of adding a few more gals next year, maybe Bantams. So...what does everyone think??

View attachment 1022503
View attachment 1022504
View attachment 1022505 View attachment 1022506
View attachment 1022507 View attachment 1022508

I think the placement looks good but you may want to put a perch a couple inches out from the nesting box so they can hop onto the perch and into the box. That would help them get on in but still keep your floor space.

Thanks for pointing this out to us! My boyfriend attached a board a few inches wide in front of the box yesterday....I'm sure it will help them a lot!

The gals seem to be getting more comfortable in their new place....though getting down from up high still seems to confuse them a little! :)

Back
Top Bottom