We call our .125 acre of Atlanta our farm

TrueFamilyFarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Atlanta
Happy Friday all you BYC-ers!

I've been a reader since acquiring chicks last fall and finally took the sign-up plunge! Thanks to all of you that have already answered my many questions. ( i.e. "Oh, fwew, its her crop, not a humongous tumor...") We live on this tiny scrap of property in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, and my neighbors call me the chicken expert, but it's really the combined knowledge of BYC at work!

We've got...
15 8-month-old hens: RIR, New Hampshire, Black Australorps, Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington, Buff Brahma, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Americauna. Is it just me or are the red chickens the loudest!

16 chicks in the brooder: Black Australorps, Barred Plymouth Rock, Americauna (including a pretty lavender)

and 11 olive-egger eggs on day 20 in the styrofoam-cooler-turned-incubator. Awaiting the first hatch!!

Thankfully, Atlanta is super chicken friendly and allows up to 25! We'll be selling or eating the boys. Our first rooster became "Mike Tacos" on a snowy day in Georgia. We're building a "Chicken Palace" and are excited about moving the girls from their "Redneck Bunker" to their shiny new diggs.

My husband and I are in our 20's, both Georgia Tech grads, and are really in love with Jesus. We sell our eggs for $4/doz with no chance of meeting the demand. We also have the most awesome cat, Meow Meow, and a big ol' organic garden.

Thanks, again, BYC and I'll see you on the forums!
Ellen

welcome-byc.gif

So glad you took the plunge and registered as a BYC member!
thumbsup.gif

BYC has also allowed me to sound like an expert in chicken (and duck) keeping, when I talk to others or respond to posted inquiries. What I love most about the forum is the community of like-minded folks, many of whom have become good "friends I've never met."

Welcome from a little homestead in town in PA. I do the organic gardening thing too, and am lucky to have some old fruit trees from when grandparents owned the place. Nothing is as satisfying as providing for many of your own needs, as you well know.

Sounds like you have a nice mix of breeds. I've really enjoyed having different breeds. Its so easy to tell who is laying and who isn't, plus the assortment of colors looks so nice scratching about.

Hope your hatch goes well! I just finished my first hatch. My advice, whatever you do don't open that incubator. I'll be raising my cockerels for meat too. Processing was tough at first, but we are getting better at it as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom