We couldn't bring our new friend back with us from vacation! :(

@sourland ... you know, I would have LOVED to, but I was stuck being the photographer. A missed opportunity for sure, but I'll learn to deal with it.
wink.png

She's a lot braver than me…no way I would have knowingly let a spider crawl on me. We have what I think is a Banana Spider and her mate living on our deck. She eats carpenter bees & yellow jackets, so I just leave her alone and she ignores me. Guess she's laying eggs, keeps getting fatter.

We came home one night and were taking the motorcycle around back to put it away in the garage and almost ran into a HUGE web that a big fat brown spider was working on, she was close to the size of a quarter without her legs.... her web went from the house, to a power line above, to the truck in the driveway, to something on the ground, at least 10 feet in each direction.....

Last edited:
That is a gorgeous arachnid! did you guys happen to find out anything about it while you were there? When I studied abroad in university in Martinique, I found so many beautiful insects! occasionally I found a perfectly dead one. The kind that look like they'd been killed for pinning. I smuggled three or four of them back in cotton in air filled water bottles in my checked luggage. I'm slightly geeky and slightly bad I guess lol

I wish we would have known more about them while we were there, but we didn't learn about them until we got home!

Yes, you are slightly geeky and bad, we just hope that the bug immigration / import police aren't browsing BYC!
wink.png

Let's hope not or I may not share some of my more amusing smuggling stories lol! I'm impressed you guys looked her up when you got home! most people wouldn't find the time of day-- though most people would pick up an arachnid they could identify in a foreign country, or any country for that matter! lol

Back
Top Bottom