We did it!! And, not as bad as I thought it would be...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hatchaholic, May 3, 2009.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    So, we are now over-run with roos that are terrorizing my hens. Only option...eat the roos. So, we butchered the first one today. And, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. (Maybe because I am sooooo mad at all the roos.) But, for whatever reason, it didn't bother me like I thought it would. It made me very appreciative of the farm animals I have. And, it turned into a family project. Even my youngest children (two girls ages 6 and 11) watched every minute of the whole process. And, they were upset that we only had time to process one today.

Also, I have never plucked a chicken before. I was very worried that it was going to be extremely difficult. I was pleasantly surprised. Those feathers came right out. No problems at all.

Now, one down and about 11 more to go...

2. Terry

Terry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    WTG I can smell the chicken n dumplings now yummmm lol [​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I keep thinking that eventually I'll get to this point. But for now I only have one big roo and 11 chicklets that I'm sure will produce a few more that I don't need in my flock. Only problem is that I've fallen in love with every single one of my fuzzbutts. If I keep hatching though, eventually I'm going to have to toughen up and learn to send a chicken to freezer camp.

4. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    I know exactly what your talking about when it's comes to... too many Roos...and having it up to here with them.

I'm glad your first expereance was a positive one.

Much of that positive experience has to do with you and your mind set....

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congratulations! It's good to hear that your first processing experience was a positive one. I too was pleasantly surprised with how well I handled processing our first batch of Cornish X this past February. In a couple of weeks we'll be processing the 24 that I'm raising now.

6. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    I did mine too! I posted about it, and I agree, the worst part was dreading doing it. My girls 8 and 11 didn't seem bothered at all like I was afraid they would be. I feel like a real farmer now!! haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by