We did it! But wondering ....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 3nglishteacher, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 3nglishteacher

3nglishteacher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    We finally harvested our first -- 2 six m/o roosters and decided to skin them. But I was wondering if it's the breed or what -- the dark meat was really, really dark and gamey smelling after cooking in the pressure cooker. I knew my kids would turn up their noses, me too:( truthfully . I was worried that we didn't bleed them out properly or something... or is that just what farm raised is supposed to be/taste like? Oh, these are EE'ers. Would Cornish Rox be alot different?
    Thanks,
    K

2. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    It is due to the breed and age. The more active, the more blood to the muscle= darker meat. The older, the tougher.

Cornish rock are like the ones in the store, only fresher and with a better texture. Not chewy at all. Hard to describe, but it almost will flake like fish.... Very delicious.

Get a few meat birds and try them. I am sure you will be hooked. I just put my last ones in the fridge today. I am glad and sad at the same time. It means my freezer is full, but summer is coming to an end.

3. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Use the chicken for broth. My Buff Orps didn't make good meat birds but they made wonderful broth. You can freeze the broth in icecube trays and then put the cubes in a freezer bag. Whenever a recipe calls for a little bit of broth, you can throw in a couple of blocks.

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:I think that araucana/americanas are known to be gamey.People who want something close to a pheasant in taste choose them.
    Dark meat doesn't go over good in my house either.
    Cornish-x would be alot different by far. Will

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    With older birds, I crock-pot until tender, (3-8 hrs, depending on age of bird) take the meat off the bones and use for all kinds of dishes, tacos, burritos, BBQ sandwiches, etc. Save the broth for whatever you use chicken broth for, it rich and dark. Makes fabulous gravy.

They do have a much stronger flavor than the store bought birds, it IS really what chicken is supposed to taste like, but we've been conditioned to the bland, mushy, Cornish X from the store, soaked in strongly chlorinated water before packaging.

There are other breeds that you might like a lot better though, Delaware, Buckeye, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock. Younger birds (12-16 weeks) will still be tender, (not mushy, but tender enough) and won't taste as strong as a 6 month old roo.

Some folks prefer the Cornish X meat birds, and that's fine, it a personal preference. I prefer any home raised bird over store bought, even if it's a Cornish X!

You might find this other thread of interest:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=85610

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by