1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We did it! We moved with our flock!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RedfogsFlock, Jul 25, 2011.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Yes we did! We just got done moving 1700 miles with 2 chickens, 2 ducks, a squirell, 3 dogs, 1 cat and a rabbit! We have a Suburban so what we did was fold down half of the first back seat. On the far rear seat we put the chickens in a kennel, with a kennel of ducks on top, then next to them we put a covered litterbox with a kennel on top with the rabbit in it. Then in the front seat we put the squirrel in a fish tank with a wire lid. We let the cat and dogs run loose in the vehicle, and let our son sit in the one seat that wasn't folded down in the back.

At night when we would stop we would carry in each kennel and the other animals. I would let the birds & rabbit out one kennel at a time in the bathroom. Clean the kennels, feed everyone and back in they would go. When bedtime come we just cover em all up with the towels and goto sleep.

WORKED LIKE A CHAMP!! Just thought that I would share that IT CAN BE DONE! Oh and at stops no one ever asked about our animals. They would just say ok and flag us on. [​IMG]

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    good grief, what an endeavor... glad it worked out well for you.

3. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    I would have never been able to pull it off [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I only have to move 52 miles, but my flock is just a tad bit larger than yours......
    [​IMG]

I am trying not to freak out about mocing 'em all.

5. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    We moved last month, it was only 30 miles, but do you know what all fit in a Chevi Blazer?
    In a big dogcrate 21 chicken, in a smaller one 6 Guineas. 5 kennels with our cats, 2 dogs ( Aussi x) and on the front seat a tank with 5 green Anoles and a little cage with our Bearded Dragon. Oh............I almost forgott my bater mit 24 eggs..............sadly I only had 6 peeps and 2 passed [​IMG]

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Congrats on your successful move! [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done on the move. [​IMG]:clap Enjoy your new home.

8. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Our girls are in a small coop now, and they were free rangers on 5 acres, but they're adjusting. They really like it I think. At dusk I see them all out there jumping into the air eating the bugs lol. It's not as hot here either and instead of walking around with their wings out they are laying all sprawled out in the grass ha ha. By next year they'll be used to the different weather and screaming it's hot, I imagine.

You would be amazed at what will fit into an SUV huh? [​IMG] @balefire

We went from Arizona to Indiana, and only once had a hotel say no. They actually wanted us to park our truck across the street! We told them NO WAY! They objected to our truck because it was large, but not the animals. what? ha ha

You know every night our chickens and ducks left us 3 eggs! So every hotel we stayed at we left 3 eggs every morning for them as a thank you from the girls. [​IMG]

Thank you for the congrats!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by