We did it!!!!

Quote:
don't keep them both in tact. pick your fave and band the other... are they disbudded?

What is disbudded?
idunno.gif

Debi, we went over this!
tongue.png

Disbudded=no horns. Very important IMO. People who don't have goats say it's abusive. It is painful to the goat for less than a day.
Wethered=no manhood. Even more important. If you want to deal with buck smell, attitude, and him breaking down the fence every two weeks to get to your doe (that you will have), go right on ahead. I will continue leasing a buck once a year.
big_smile.png

Congrats on your goats Deb! Yes I'd definitely get at least one wethered... the bucks are soooooo stinky, you will not want to go near it LOL also 2 bucks will got nuts if you get one female...

Nancy
smile.png

And if you are ever going to have a goat for milking.. having a buck too close to the doe will taint the milk flavor...I'd get one fixed Debi. I'm actually going to bring my goats to be bred..i dont want a buck at all on my property.

I am soooo jealous! My husband has agreed to let me have some goats, actually I think he's looking forward to it almost as much as I am. But I'm torn between Nubians and Boer. I also like the LaMancha too. I intend to get a few does (4) and leasing a buck once or twice a year. I intend to keep the offspring for meat but want to sell a few of them to help offset the price of feed and such. Because funds are limited... I thought I'd start out with boer/nubian crosses and breed them back to a FB boer one year and FB nubian the next. Keep the does from my first kiddings and once again breed those back to a FB boer and/or FB nubian. Would this be a good method that would be cost effient? Any suggestions to a breeding program?

Yep I got respect for those that keep males around for breeding. Whew. My neighbor had one as a pet and I was down wind, on a good day I could smell that darn goat from a hundred yards. It was not offensive to me but I did tease him a lot about his goat.

I dont think he believed me when I told hem he should nueter that goat the day he got him. He finally gave him to someone, he was tired of smelling him when he went down to feed his horses. He ran with the horses and they smelled also LOL.

Good luck with your goats they are good looking fellas. It was not so many years ago that the pure bred Boer goats were selling for thousands of dollars.

Back
Top Bottom