We did it

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JustMandy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Tonight, Dh and I culled our first two roos. They are all clean and in the fridge waiting for the crock pot on Friday. I don't know anywhere else I can tell people and will be understood. I'm sure many of you here know the mixed feelings we have. Pride, satisfaction, grossed out, a little sad and very greatful. Everything I've read about feeling connected to my food is so true. I thanked our birds and know they were spoiled in life and respected in death.

Thanks, people of BYC for your knowlege, support and taking the time to read this. [​IMG]

2. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Yup, we know all too well!

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Enjoy your wonderful chicken dinner. [​IMG]

3. sablevulpe

sablevulpe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Andover, MN
    Quote:Congratulations. It is a truly amazing experience, no? I harvested my first 2 roos this Sept with 3 great friends standing at the ready if I couldn't do it. I felt all those emotions as well, but most of all the grateful and satisfied. I had made good on the promise I made to them to have happy, healthy lives and quick, easy deaths. That is more than most people can say for ANY of their protein.

High fives and happy hugs!

4. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    We did our first last weekend. It was a mix of emotions but we were proud. We did a soup and let me tell you it was the cleanest tasting stock I ever had, not greasy but full of flavor!!! And I'm also not a dark meat girl but that was awesome too not fatty or greasy!!!!Good for you and enjoy!!

5. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Thanks! I'm planning on making our fave "rotisserie style" chicken in the crock pot and stock. We're having new friends over so it's quite the occasion! I sure hope they taste good...this meal is far more "mine" than any I've ever prepared!!

6. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Congrats! [​IMG]

Enjoy the satisfaction of your labor!

7. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Good job! I will be crying on YOUR shoulder in the Spring. [​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    good for you! it does get easier each time.

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:That's a great quote. We did our first last weekend. I thought I'd be sad and regret it, but I was surprised at how peaceful I felt when it was done - it's hard to explain.

And here's our roasted Dominique roo. I can't believe no one wanted to try it - people are funny about eating roosters...

[​IMG]

10. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I will be starting to butcher my slow broilers this Sunday afternoon. I can't say I am looking forward to it but at the same time I am excited to get it started. They are getting big and are "slowing down" . It's almost as if they are letting me know that it's time. Like yours, mine have had a good, although short, life and I do respect them and appreciate being able to grow them out and butcher them humanely. Congrats on your first! Wish me luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by