We did it!!!

bevsbirds

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
celebrate.gif
: We processed 12 cornish roasters this afternoon. Our first attempt ever with chickens!!! My DH and SIL killed the birds and my daughter and myself cut them up and packaged them for the freezer. My only concern is about the resting process. We packaged ours and put them in the freezer with the intent to thaw for several days in the refrigerator before cooking. Is that ok? Should we have let them rest in the refrigerator for several days before freezing?

It was quite a process for us but went very quickly. Not certain before we started if we would ever attempt this again but, if we like the meat, I'm sure we'll probably consider doing another batch this fall. We started off with 16 birds but lost 4 in one day which we're assuming was CHF. That was very disappointing since I worked really hard to try to do everything right but I understand the cornish birds can be more difficult.

We also have 9 hens and 1 rooster that we are raising for the eggs. Will be a couple of months yet before we start getting eggs but that will certainly be exciting too.

Thank you to everyone that so diligently gives their time helping others on this site. I have referred to it numerous times and will continue to do so.

Glad everything went well - so how old were they when you processed them? How old were the ones that died? I am raising my first batch so I am curious. Not sure about the resting part so I cannot help there but I've read from other threads that if you let it defrost and then sit then it is fine. A lot of people brine it as well during that resting period. Hope you LOVE the meat and that it was all worth the hard work!!
droolin.gif

clap.gif
Yay for all of you!!! I hope that you kept at least one of them in the refrigerator to cook in a day or two, don't wait to try that tasty chicken! I can't answer that freezer question, someone else should be able to. Next processing session should go even easier than today's.

Quote:
X4 as I have the same question in my thread below.
big_smile.png

(Yes I know I can do a search, the search button isn't all that freindly now. (The one in the blue bar up top, not the google search.) At least it's not to me, lol.

mcf3kids - The birds were 8 weeks old and the 4 I lost were 7 weeks old.

Sunny Side Up - No, I didn't keep one out to cook in the next couple of days. At the time, I wasn't feeling like I would want chicken anytime soon
hmm.png
but that feeling is leaving and I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be anxious to try one.

Back
Top Bottom