We don't know which chickens are roosters!

2014gschickens

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
This is my me and my family's first time raising chickens. We got our day old chickens on May 21. There are 13 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Ameraucanas. We don't know which chickens are roosters or hens, so we took picture of the ones that we were sure about.

The first two two are roosters, the third where you can't see the head looks like a rooster from the red coming in on the back, the fourth is a pullet, I can't see five well enough but I am not seeing any red coming in and don't seem to see any comb/wattle, and last two are roosters

I think number three is also a pullet. The red is scattered throughout its wings instead of big chunk of red up on its shoulders. At least that is how mine wound up. The rest I concur.

We only want to keep one rooster, and we want to keep the dominant one... How can we tell which is dominant?

More time has to pass; watch behavior as long as possible, and cull any cockrel who shows any signs of human aggression. You will decide on a favorite as the weeks/months pass by. Mary

Back
Top Bottom