We don't really raise chickens, they just live here too.

vieques

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Hi all, Thanks for the warm welcome.
I hope I've come to the right venue. Let me explain. We don't really raise chickens, they just live here too.

About a year and a half ago my husband and I moved to the island of Vieques in Puerto Rico. We have a beautiful home with a beautiful view on an acre of proprety. When we got here there were just a couple of free range chickens living around the property. We enjoyed them and started to feed them. Next thing we knew they were nesting here too and the rest is history. We now have about 35 chickens, 5 roosters and 24 little guys running around the property. It's getting a little out of hand.
We started taking some of the eggs to reduce the number of chicks hatching and that's great. the eggs are wonderful. But now we go around the property seaching out nests in order to keep control of the birthings. Sometimes we loose and a mom will show up for breakfast with her new brood of 9 or 10.

So I guess my question is how do I keep the population under control? And how do I care for them properly. We really love them and want to do the right thing by them.

We've have lots of stories and I'd love to share some. Watching these chickens certainly has been a learning experience, so I think we have someting to offer the other readers in return for thier knowledge. Hope so.

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. Is there anyway you could trap a few so you could find them a different home? It might be easier to keep numbers down with less hens possibly laying.

How delightful to have a native flock to enjoy! What a rare treat!
I understand, though, your wish to regulate numbers.
I hope you find good solutions.
welcome-byc.gif

Hi and welcome BYC from northern Michigan :D

In your situation I'm not sure removing the roos would work, as new ones would likely move in. you might see if anyone is interested in young layers or cockerels for meat. And remove as many eggs as possible.

welcome-byc.gif
from California, you've received some good advise here. I guess you could also build a coop to keep the ones you want for easier egg collection. Good luck.

Hello and welcome from Ohio.....so glad you joined BYC. Sounds like you live in a beautiful place. Hope you find a way to control all the hatchings. Good luck

Welcome to BYC. Chicken birth control - search and destroy missions on those nests. Actually it may be better to let a hen set and hatch one chick at a time so that she does not immediately re brood.

Back
Top Bottom