We don't really raise chickens, they just live here too.

Welcome to backyard chickens!

Maybe you could trap a few roosters and hens, and see if anyone would like to give them a home? That might help with the population. And perhaps if you put a few nest boxes out in the yard (filled with fluffy hay) they would prefer to lay their eggs in the boxes?

Hi and thanks for the idea and response. I think I could borrow traps from the humane society and trap a few. Finding homes might not be easy though, it's not like chickens are in demand here. They kind-a roam all over the place. Most of the "Gringo's" living here don't think much of chickens and would never take them. I don't think they understand how fascinating chickens can be. Finding a Puerto Rician home might be possible and I can check around. If trapping what should I trap, the mother's wityh chicks? or young hens that haven't laid yet. Rooster too I'm sure, but finding them a home that won't use them for cock fights will be a challenge. yea, they still do that here. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep you posted.

Hi and thanks for the ideas and response. Yes, Vieques is very beautiful and living in Puerto Rico very different. I am trying to learn Spanish. My husband and I retired when we moved here and besides the chickens we have feral cats living with us and not so wild horses that roam around and come to our property for the water we put out for them. The chickens love the horse manure and we appreciate their clean-up effort so it's not a problem when my husband cuts the lawn. I'm an artist of sorts and am now having a grand time painting chickens.

Above is a picture of the hen that started it all. She was the first to nest in our closet. She hatched 8 little blond chicks. While searching food in the vacant wooded area next to our property she was attacked by what I think was a mongoose. She fought hard and valiantly saved all her chicks but came away with a huge gash on the back of her head and spent the next couple of days very dazed. not knowing anything about chickens I searched the web and hooked up with Mary Britton Clouse of Chicken Run Rescue Minneapolis, MN. She was a great help. Momma hen and all her little ones came through the ordeal intact. She has a pretty large scar on the back of her head now but otherwise she's fine and still my favorite. Since then the wooded property next door has been cleared. Whatever predators were living there are gone. So nature has been altered and many more chicks are making it to adulthood than before.

I think I could borrow traps from the humane society and trap a few. Finding homes might not be easy though, it's not like chickens are in demand here. They kind-a roam all over the place. Most of the "Gringo's" living here don't think much of chickens and would never take them. I don't think they understand how fascinating chickens can be. Finding a Puerto Rician home might be possible and I can check around. If trapping what should I trap, the mother's With chicks? or young hens that haven't laid yet. Rooster too I'm sure, but finding them a home that won't use them for cock fights will be a challenge. yea, they still do that here. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep you posted.
We do eat the eggs now and although small are really very good. Doubt we could go farther than that.

If we put nesting boxes on the lawn are there any suggestions as to where and how big they should be, Right now I've got hens nesting in hanging flower baskets and flower pots. They've also taken possession of an outside closet we have attached to the house. There are now three hens using it for nesting; one on the top shelf and two on the first shelf. It's amazing to me those little-bitty chicks can get down from there without getting hurt. Once down though they forsake the closet for the safety of the back of the water heater. There are now two families back there.
At this point I've been taking all but 4 eggs from their nest, should I take more and would it be alright to take all but one. Also I'm wondering how long a hen lays. I know they start at about 6 months but for how many year....is it years?
Should I remove the excess roosters? Would they lay less if there was only one roo? I've got lots of questions and am very grateful to all of you that seem willing to help.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Nice picture!

I would probably only leave 1 or 2 eggs in the nests the hens are setting. If they are not actually broody, take them all out.

It may actually be easier to re-home chicks, once mom hatches them and they gain a few weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom