We Finally Ate Our Eggs!

RMiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
Pacific, MO
Last night was the first time we have eaten our own eggs! So exciting and so delicious! You should have seen all of us in our tiny kitchen watching as each egg was cracked open. Hysterical!

We got our first egg about 2.5 weeks ago, and at that time we took them off the grower feed and put them on layer feed. We waiting the recommended time before eating the eggs. So far all of the eggs have been perfect.

Yay!!

I was told to wait 2 weeks after switching from medicated grower feed to layer feed. Not sure if that is the norm, but we waited.

I was told to wait 2 weeks after switching from medicated grower feed to layer feed. Not sure if that is the norm, but we waited.

Medicated feed usually contains small amounts of Amprolium, which is a thiamine blocker and has no egg withdrawal period. I hate to tell you this... but you didn't have to wait. You could've eaten the first eggs.

I think what the OP meant was that they did not eat any eggs that were produced in the first two weeks of laying due to the inclusion of any elements that get passed from the medicated feed the hens were on prior to switching them to layer feed.

I had not heard this before either, but I'm assuming this would not be in play if medicated feed was not used.

We didn't hold on to the eggs for 2 weeks before eating them. We did not eat the eggs that were produced in the first 2 weeks after switching from medicated feed to layer feed, allowing time for whatever was in the medicated feed to clear out of their systems.

CPChix, that is correct. If they were not on medicated feed, it would not be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom