We finally got our dream coop!

We put a metal roof on our coop, it is at an angle on a raised frame and the top of the coop is framed separately, leaving air flow space between the roof and coop, that we covered the open space with hardware cloth. It adds a nice upper level ventilation.

That is awesome! You did a great job! It looks nice and shady and just the right size for the number of ladies that you have, to be comfy and safe. You will likely find that you need to add bigger ventilation on side opposite the chicken door, but you could do something that you could cover up on those rare colder winter days or in high winds. You will know more when you get temp measurements. from inside the coop.

We are adding turkeys this year, so building a new coop and run for them, and expanding our chicken run again, (37 chickens...5 boys..) and there were things that I wanted to do with the run construction that we didn't do the first time around, so part of the expansion will be some additional remodeling. Including adding a broody coop and run, within the run, so any hatchling peeps can safely get to know the bigger tribe as they are growing.

We are going to add some chicken/turkey proof planting boxes in the runs too, so they can graze on herbs and lettuces, and even some grass. We had a lot of rain this year and the chickens managed to destroy all the grass in their run. (it is too big to completely roof.)

There are so many things you do not think of in your first (even 2nd or 3rd) design. We are in SC, so I feel your pain on the summer heat. We are starting construction in the next few weeks, when I can take a week off of work to help the egg thief.
Yes, you understand HEAT! We're definitely considering having to add an extra window for air flow. We have left space for it, just in case (and likely). How exciting to be adding turkeys. My close friend has turkeys. Speaking of broody coop, we do keep dog crates around just for that reason. I have a hatchling hutch too (hiding on the side of the yard). I don't do chicks but every 3 or so years.

Yes, you understand HEAT! We're definitely considering having to add an extra window for air flow. We have left space for it, just in case (and likely). How exciting to be adding turkeys. My close friend has turkeys. Speaking of broody coop, we do keep dog crates around just for that reason. I have a hatchling hutch too (hiding on the side of the yard). I don't do chicks but every 3 or so years.
This has all been such a wonderful adventure and we are learning so much everyday. We decided that we would let a determined broody sit, If we end up with more little fluffy butts than we need, we can help other neighbors start their adventure too. :)

It took us from Nov 9, 2021 til Tuesday to get it done. We had some medical interruptions plus waiting on Florida heat to subside and finances. But, it was exactly what I wanted in my dreams and hubby built it to my short height specs. LOL. I did the painting work. The first 7 minutes of the video is the time lapse of the build. The last 22 minutes is my explanation of why and hows. Hope you guys enjoy it.
Congratulations!
Very Nice 🤗

Back
Top Bottom