We finally had enough for 4....

AccidentalFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2007
Texas
....people to eat fresh eggs! Our first ever NON-supermarket eggs!!! We have only one hen old enough to lay and have been collecting eggs every other day and dutifully placing them in the carton in the fridge..waiting to have enough for all four of us to eat. Well, we got the 7th one today and I just couldn't stand it anymore!! I snuck in the kitchen and scrambled them up before anyone could catch me and make me wait..
big_smile.png
They really were great..so different from store bought. I didn't really believe they would be.

We all thanked Disco (our hen) and now look forward to another couple of weeks of agonizingly slow egg collecting!

Oh, before you know it you will have 1/2 a dozen eggs a day. Then you'll be saying we need to sell some of these eggs! Been there, now I get 8-12 a day, except today, just 1, how weird is that?

That is weird..hm.

Actually, I have 4 girls that will be laying in another 2 mos. or so, then 10 that should start laying in another couple months after that, then 6 more that will be about a month after. By Christmas, I'll be begging people to take eggs!

Oh, I also get to pick up my 5 new birds that I'm getting from allenwranch next week- 2 of them are already laying. WooHoo! I'm so excited!!

Congrats on the eggs. They're worth the wait aren't they? My kids refuse to eat store bought anymore. Like others said, pretty soon you'll have too many, it's a good problem to have.

yeah, it really was exciting. We've been getting a kick out of trying to get out to the coop at just the right time - in order to be the one to find the egg each day (or every other day, rather). Actually, our girl likes to keep us on our toes, she lays every other day most of the time, but throws out an egg 2 days in a row a couple of times, I guess this is normal for Polish?
As soon as I had the eggs scrambled up, the rest of my bunch would one by one, come walk past the plate of eggs..look...comment on how much yellow-er they looked than 'normal' eggs...look some more...wander away...wander back.. LOL I knew they wanted to pick a bite from the plate of eggs and were afraid they'd get slapped with the spatula for trying. Boy, you shoulda seen them come running when I announced it was time to eat!

Back
Top Bottom