We got one egg!

AKnewbie

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
So yes, I am obviously excited.
We have Nine 21 week old Australorps. And we got one egg yesterday.
Should I be expecting the rest to be laying soon?

I am a little jealous! We have three girls, the guy who sold them to us said they were all 5 months old, but one has been laying for 3 weeks now, the others havent started. But, they are all differnt kinds, so that might have somthing to do with it.

Boy, I understand your excitement!! We have 3 Rhodies and 2 Ameracauna which are 23 weeks old and just got our first brown egg two days ago!!! And it was a double yolker :) We decided that hen was an over-achiever :) We got another egg yesterday but it was quite a bit smaller....still no blue eggs yet, though so we are still waiting with baited breath for the Ameracaunas to kick in :) All the hens are the same age, so we figure we should be getting up to five a day very soon.

My husband and I are crazy in love with our girls and we have built them a fairly bullet proof enclosure and equipped it with 4 red blinking lights that start when it gets dark....no predators so far. The only thing that could get in would be a bear and we hope the lights scare them off. We even buried wire a foot beneath the ground to keep out all the diggers and snakes!

I just about gave up on them laying this season when I looked in their nesting box yesterday and saw one fairly good sized egg. LOL
Of course it was cracked since whoever laid them made sure to dig out all the wood shavings in the nesting box and lay the egg squarely in the wooden center.

It's so weird because everyone expects chickens to lay eggs but when you see that egg in the nesting box, it's almost magical. LOL!!!

Well, since my last post in Sept. all 5 of my girls lay almost every day. 2 green and three brown. Funniest thing is they almost always choose the same nest box even though they can have their pick of three! I have even seen one girl on top of another in the same box. Silly chickens
1f604.png
I am so glad we have the girls. They are all everyone has said about them and more! They are "neighborhood" pets as we live in the forest and they spend most of the day foraging from property to property. Everyone watches out for them and they always come 'home' before dark. Grandkids come from across the road to feed, gather eggs and carry one or another of them around a bit. We are in love with our chickens! They will be a year old 4/15....haven't stopped laying since they started
1f44f.png

Back
Top Bottom