We got our first Angel Food box!

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
We got our first Angel Food boxes today. I made a game out if it, had the kids come out as I was opening the boxes and putting the food away. They were THRILLED to see the chicken bits and fries, which will be their lunch today. I was a little bit disappointed in the size of the roast...I mean, 2 lbs, come on? It would take TWO of those to feed my family. And a small 6 oz bag of pancake mix? LOLOL OK well, that will feed my DH before work one morning, but not my entire family. Other than that, I am really pleased with the boxes. I figure that two pound roast I'll cook up, then chop up, and make it into a stew for dinner tomorrow. I can make it all stretch!

I ordered one of all the boxes, except the senior box. Oh and I ordered 2 of the grill boxes, because well, one just wouldn't feed my family. The chicken box will be lunches for me and the kiddos while DH is at work. Dh doesn't like chicken breast too much, but the kids and I love it. The 2 steaks I got in the grill boxes wouldn't feed my whole family, which is why I ordered 2 boxes. Still not sure that 4 steaks would feed us all, so to stretch it I am going to cook the 4 of them up like I normally would a roast. That will be dinner tonight. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

When I got to opening the fruit/veggie box my kids went wild. They are going to have their first grapefruit today. I have never thought to buy it before, so when they saw the huge "oranges" in the boxes they asked for them. Will have to see what they think LOL

As soon as I opened the boxes and saw that everything really is portioned for smaller families, I immediately started to think of ways to stretch everything. Pretty much it would all make meals for my kids if Dh and I don't eat with them LOLOLOL But that's where my insistance on portion control comes in. I carefully measure out everyone's servings so they can have seconds, and sometimes leftovers for the next day.

I think I have everything planned out for meals for the next two weeks. I don't think I can get anything out of the boxes today to stretch further than 2 weeks, but that's Ok. I plan to order again next month, too, and now that I see how the boxes are, I can change up my order to fit our needs.

Definitely next time, ordering TWO fruit/veggie boxes!

The angel boxes are perfect for my husband and I. We order them without looking a the contents list, and get big surprises as we come across things. Yeah,,,,we need to get out more,,,,
hide.gif
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

We get our boxes here in about an hour......

We order 2 to 4 or the regular boxes each month (I am feeding 8 to 14 people every night) and then we always get some of the additional add on boxes as well. I have never been disappointed in what we have gotten.

The few things we won't eat I either offer to the grown kids or give to the chooks/dogs/cats as supplement to their food. VERY LITTLE goes to waste around here.....LOL

This is the first time i have heard of this organisation - what a wonderful thing they do, meeting peoples needs in a practical way.

i wonder if you know of any distribution points in MN as i know some families that are having a really tough time there and could do with their help.

please feel free to pm me or post if you know about this or any other organisation helping people in the MN area. I live in Northern Ireland so i am out of touch with the the resources they may have.

thank you so much

You can go to their website and search where the host sites are located.

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/about/

I am so excited about this.
Getting these boxes is really going to cut down on my grocery bill. I did the math, and if I make all the meals stretch, then I will have fed my family for the next 2 weeks at about $55 a week! Not bad for a family of 7!!!

What is a wonderful service that organization is providing! I'm sure that many families must be very thankful for it, especially in these times of increasing need.

My Wife and I head up the AF program at our church.
It is a wonderful way of getting good deals on food.
For large families we always suggest getting two boxes.

We have some families that buy 4-6 boxes per month.

In our family it is just DW and I.
We buy 2 boxes, and always the Grill box and Veggie box.

You folks speak about Angel Boxes, and I wanted to share something that was so appreciated, a friend of mine has been through some major cancers, sinus cancer, now brain cancer and several other types of cancers too. The other day he called me so excited that one of the area churches had brought his family enough goods to have an amazing Thanksgiving.
This man is also a Veteran and such small things can bring more joy then we can imagine. I'm am so grateful for anyone who helps with the gift of food boxes, Thank you for your donations to humanity!

Hmmm. What is an Angel Food box? I thought it was like Angel Food cake... but clearly not
Christina

EDITED TO ADD: Nevermind, lol. I went and read up on them... Hugs CL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom